Advanced search

Equestrian insurance options

(10 Posts)
Buttercup443 Wed 21-Oct-15 09:47:39

Hi there, new to the tackroom oom, only posted about body protectors before.

Have got back into riding, now back in the UK and on BUPA but it doesn't give me the cover I need. I am doing flatwork a few times a week but looking at trying out on an ex racer soon so will really need to find good insurance.

I am not bothered by how much it costs, I just need an excellent care plan, after all I have 4 little ones who depend on me.

I read about BHS Gold Membership but wondered what you all think about Rider insurance? Does it come with liability insurance (say my horse injures another pony or damages something) or is this a separate issue?

Really grateful for any advice to help me through the jungle of insurance advertisements of Google...

Buttercup443 Wed 21-Oct-15 09:48:08

PS: Not riding as a professional, just privately.

Alfredoshoes Wed 21-Oct-15 17:57:31

I am a horse owner with horse insurance but my insurance is for my horse, are you saying you are buying the ex-racer? Or loaning him?

Buttercup443 Thu 22-Oct-15 16:33:42

Hi Alfredoshoes,

I will try out riding him, never ridden one before. If it all goes well I'll be asked back in the next few weeks and if that progresses I have him on loan for 3 months before being given the option to buy.

Sorry, quite long winded...

Not sure what my best options are. Have not declared to my BUPA that I am riding and my dh said it's classed as high risk so may not be covered.

PestoSwimissimos Thu 22-Oct-15 16:37:59

When DD2 was loaning a pony I looked into insurance for her & bought BHS Gold membership. When we were both riding I switched to a family Gold Membership. It seemed to provide more than adequate cover.

Buttercup443 Sat 24-Oct-15 17:46:34

Thank you Pestoswimissimos for sharing your experience. I will have another look on their website about family insurance.

Ridingthegravytrain Sat 24-Oct-15 17:51:29

Am I missing something? I've only ever insured my horse and tack. I assumed should anything happen to me I would just go to an nhs hospital if it was a bad injury

carabos Mon 26-Oct-15 19:13:57

ridingthegravytrain you should really carry personal accident insurance for yourself. You may well be treated by the nhs, but in the event of a catastrophic injury - see the thread about WFP ^^- you will be glad of the benefits of a proper policy.

Buttercup443 Thu 29-Oct-15 17:09:29

Hi ridingthegravytrain,

Yes carbon, that's what I have been advised, to look into proper equestrian insurance. Riding is classed a high risk sport and I'm somehow sure BUPA might weasel it's way out of paying for treatment and pay out if something happened. After all I am still tying shoe laces for my little ones for years to come... I will have to declare my riding to insurer and watch the premium go up for life insurance too I guess...

Buttercup443 Thu 29-Oct-15 17:11:01

Carabos, sry autocorrect at work here..

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: