Talk

Advanced search

working with horses whilst pregnant

(14 Posts)
s098 Tue 21-Jul-15 09:37:51

Hi, has anyone else worked with horses whilst they've been pregnant ? If so when did you stop working? I'm 13 weeks and told my boss last week, I'd roughly said I'd try and work till December time ( due 24th of Jan) but he's just said he doesn't think I'll manage and wants a date so he can find someone else.

snowpo Tue 21-Jul-15 12:31:37

I think it depends a lot on what sort of horses you work with and what your role is. I wouldn't want to be dealing with fit, sharp horses much after about 3 months cos of the risks involved.

You will probably find it physically much more demanding by the latest November and jobs will take longer.

I imagine your boss will have to think about insurance implications too.

violetwellies Tue 21-Jul-15 13:05:52

Not sure about working for someone else, except my racing stable friend who was sacked as soon as they found out she was pregnant.
But I have my own (2 entires plus 6 mares), and cattle.
I stopped riding at 11 weeks, as I felt so ill, but carried on mucking out etc until the week I gave birth.
I do think insurance etc may mean that you will be on restricted duties.

s098 Tue 21-Jul-15 13:05:55

I work with thoroughbreds, a couple that have raced, a yearling and a mare and foal at the min. So I'm having to be wary of the foal as he's not fully used to being handled yet. Luckily I don't have to ride so that's one less risk and I can work at my own pace as I'm the only one here. Its really hard to know how you will feel when your bigger!

s098 Tue 21-Jul-15 13:07:11

Can they get away with sacking someone because they are pregnant!?

violetwellies Wed 22-Jul-15 20:20:45

My friend says they can because racing is so incestuous and everyone knows everyone. If she had gone down the legal route no one in racing would ever employ her.
She loves thoroughbreds and intended to return to work - but maybe on a different yard.

cedmonds Sat 25-Jul-15 22:03:16

I was at hickstead at 8 months pregnant doing studs and leading/ holding horses it was hard work though, and prob not the safest then to do

Gabilan Sun 26-Jul-15 11:48:17

I've known people be "let go" because they're pregnant and work with horses. I shouldn't think it's remotely legal but there rarely seem to be repercussions. I suspect this is because people who work with horses aren't unionised, have little money for lawyers and work within a small community so don't want to take the risk.

Merlin333 Fri 31-Jul-15 08:41:35

Im stopping at 32 weeks, Earlier than I would like but limited as to what I can do, I stoppped riding at 6 mths, I work with sensible ponies but trying to keep the weight off them at this time of year with no riding is not easy!! I lunge them but think I work harder getting them going than what they do lol Last day today!! Worry Im gonna get bored tho sad

Southwestwhippet Fri 31-Jul-15 16:30:42

I worked with horses until 36 weeks last pregnancy. was 90% teaching role though. it just about broke me and the baby stopped growing for the last two weeks before I stopped as I was so exhausted, stressed and in pain. I rode my own until 30 wks then had to stop due to hip and pelvic pain. I was also down to 30 hrs a week by then and still not coping.

this time am in a different job and have moves from yard work to more admin stuff (which I hate but is better than not working). am doing a lot of teaching too as is more restful. struggling with SPD which stopped me riding completely at 18 weeks and kicks off if I spend too much time walking or on my feet. at 24wks am down to three dayssad sad sad am so exhausted I put daughter to bed at 7 then follow her!

I love my job.but the physical demands when you are pregnant are very high and unless you are one of the lucky ladies who sails effortlessly through pregnancy, it is a punishing industry when pregnant. am planning to stop at 35 wks this time but even with the understanding boss and the reduced hours/admin work im not counting on it. goos luck though, sorry not be more positive.

CountryCob Fri 31-Jul-15 19:25:24

Hard to know how you will feel now after 20 week scan often start to show more I was fine at 4 months in lunge lesson no stirrups or reigns in canter by 5 months I had to stop as no balance left, you are not riding but the handling is hard and risky and even walking is hard in the end I hate to say it and not fair but I think working that close in winter with all the jobs will be hard I stopped office job at 36 weeks 2 weeks before planned to at first with horrible pelvic pain, maybe now there is time to look for something else more manageable in winter if possible? Do what is best for you though and there will be people who are able to do that much is just really hard when you are that big you loose balance and can't carry things well as big bump sticking out in front! Congratulations and best of luck with pregnancy wink

Southwestwhippet Fri 31-Jul-15 21:26:44

Can I just add, that on a daily basis I work with youngsters, hot headed TBs, I clip and pull all manner of horses, I turn out and catch in liveries and school horses in groups of two and three... Lots of potential risks...

But the thing that had me in A&E two weeks ago was getting my foot stood on by our 16:2hh heavy weight cob - gentlest animal on the yard who we use for total beginners who want to hack. I was helping a beginner mount at the time.

You just can't keep yourself 100% safe even if you trust the horses and try to stick to the quiet ones. I had to have an XRay which was so worrying, plus refused all pain relief as pregnant so was really sore. Fortunately there was no fracture but goodness knows how I would have coped if there had been!

CountryCob Sat 01-Aug-15 17:43:35

I should have said this too! Got safety boots from screwfix now like boot trainers were £25 my horse stood on my foot and he is in with a yearling I have avoided was my fault he spooked when trying to weigh tape him so please make sure you have good boots I always wear the boots now

SideOrderofChips Fri 14-Aug-15 18:12:56

I had to stop at 22 weeks due to spd sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now