Talk

Advanced search

annoying flies!

(7 Posts)
cloudlessskies Tue 23-Jun-15 21:37:01

Hi all. I have ridden horses for years but always just used to turn up and get on. Now that I have had my loan for a year I'm still learning all of the horse knowledge. When riding today the flies were awful. Should I be spraying the horse before we hack out?
If so, can anyone recommend a particular brand? I asked the owner but she said that they don't really make a difference. Is this the case?
Thanks

feezap Wed 24-Jun-15 07:20:54

The flies are so annoying!

If you get one with Deet in, I have found they work best, just as Deet works best for us and is advised to be used when on holiday in hot countries.

It's not foolproof but it does seem to have an effect, unlike many of the others.

I usually spray some on my hat too before we go smile

balancingfigure Fri 26-Jun-15 14:00:43

Yes the one I'm using has deet in it and definitely reduces the amount of flies on DPony.

My issue is that DHorse does not like being sprayed, she's a bit nervous and it really upsets her. I've tried spraying a cloth and wiping on but it doesn't work as well.

If anyone has any alternative application ideas or ideas how to get DH to accept spraying that would be great.

mrslaughan Fri 26-Jun-15 19:26:04

I think coopers you rub on - meant to work well.... I have some in hand in case the more natural ones stop working.....it worries me that it is not healthy for us to have on our skin......

So you could try, putting it on some sort of cloth or champ and rubbing it in.
In the last 10min of my hack today I killed 8 flies on poor dhorse. And she had fly spray on!

Gabilan Sat 27-Jun-15 18:39:04

It stinks, but you could make garlic tea (make it OUTSIDE) and then you could wipe that on with a sponge. It's cheap so the wastage won't be such an issue.

I put tea tree oil and oil of citronella in aloe vera gel and wipe that around my horse's face, but you wouldn't want to do that all over a horse's body!

The alternative is to ride at 6:30am. Bloody early, but hardly any flies.

lucertola28 Sun 28-Jun-15 22:49:44

I use Carr, Day, Martin extra strength (it has yellow label) and seems to do the trick.

My boy is good about spray below neck. I put some on hands and rub into mane too.

I think you can get fly repellent wipes which might be an alternative if your horse really hates spray.

cloudlessskies Mon 06-Jul-15 17:19:06

Thank you for all your responses and apologies for my late reply.

I will get hold of one of the ones you have suggested and hope it works!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now