Talk

Advanced search

Anything you wish you'd been given as a horsewarming pressie?

(12 Posts)
ApplesTheHare Fri 29-May-15 20:02:49

Dsis has finally got her own pony. She works with horses every day but hasn't had her own for a few years for various reasons. She's got an absolutely stunning pony (subject to vetting!) and I'd like to get him a little something to welcome him to the family. Any ideas? Have you been given any amazing horsey gifts?

Butkin Fri 29-May-15 20:30:59

A nice leather head collar with a brass plate with his name (or stable name) on it is always popular..

Maybe really good quality brush - we love Osters..

Bonkey Fri 29-May-15 21:41:05

I agree with a leather headcollar with a name plate.

I'm pining for one now!

No one ever gave me a 'horsewarming gift' - it should be standard procedure grin

bimandbam Fri 29-May-15 21:42:00

Body protector.

Hth.

Pixel Fri 29-May-15 22:11:52

Bonkey, it'd just be one more thing to clean wink.

OP do you want something for the pony rather than the rider? If so you could get him one of those big mineral licks in a tub. They come in different flavours and I haven't met a horse who doesn't adore them (they do tend to get their faces filthy though). Still, it might help him settle in smile.

Bonkey Fri 29-May-15 23:10:51

BonkeyTB doesn't think much of those licks...

I bought him one special and that but he just hmm and walked away so now BonkeyShettie is having it on rations and is a little bit smug grin

How about a fancy saddle pad and bandage set?
Or....ummm...a nameplate for his stable door?

ApplesTheHare Sat 30-May-15 13:22:30

Hi everyone and thanks very much for the suggestions. I'd like to get something for new pony as (despite costing 6 grand!) he doesn't come with anything. She rides several times a day so has everything she needs smile

I love the leather head collar idea but it might be a bit dear. I'll have a look online!

ApplesTheHare Sat 30-May-15 13:23:46

Ha Bonkey you'll just have to get another and then drop 'horsewarming present' not-so-subtly wherever you go.

Pixel Sat 30-May-15 20:24:28

Ah well if he doesn't come with anything at all you have plenty of choice. You could get a flymask, not expensive and always welcome this time of year. Or some useful basics for a first aid kit, or some posh shampoo (they do ones for specific colour horses!).
A couple of weeks ago I mentioned that I have a Horsewear Washbag in response to someone who was fed up with getting horsehair out of her washing machine. I actually think that would make a really good gift for a new owner as it's not something they would think to buy for themselves but is so useful. Get a nice big one so your sis can put her own coats/jods etc in as well as numnahs. I wash nylon headcollars and girths in it as well, tied up in a pillowcase inside the bag to give the machine added protection from the buckles. Wouldn't be without it now!

<as mentioned before I do not have shares in the company grin>

Sierraspider Sun 31-May-15 00:44:33

What about a guft voucher for a particular horsey shop then she could choose something herself? Or what about some horse treats? Bailys do a big tub quite cheap. Nobody ever gave me a horse warming present! I'm jealous!

ApplesTheHare Sun 31-May-15 22:11:09

Sierra big tub of treats is a good idea actually, don't know why I didn't think of that one!

Pixel I bloody LOVE those washbags! I don't even have a horse but they're fab for dog and rabbit hair too smile

NHSisfubar Mon 01-Jun-15 21:47:10

I make hand painted wooden headcollar pegs matched to a photo of the horse and other things like stable plaques. Featured in Horse and Hound mag so nice quality presents and unique! PM me if you'd like info

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now