Talk

Advanced search

Windsor Horse Show.

(17 Posts)
honeyroar Tue 12-May-15 10:26:45

Is it a good day out? I've never been, but got a day off at Heathrow when it's on, so was thinking of visiting.

Any tips? Is it easy to drive to/park at?

BaldricksWife Tue 12-May-15 11:16:20

Yes to all the above- fave show of the year! Parking right next to showground, plenty of signs and stuff, HRH is normally wandering around and loads of stalls! Really great atmosphere!

honeyroar Tue 12-May-15 13:17:04

Wonderful. Thank you. I'm looking forward to it.

Sierraspider Tue 12-May-15 20:53:40

How much is it to get in? X

honeyroar Tue 12-May-15 23:51:53

£20 for the day and evening or £10 after 4pm (ends at 10pm I think). I did find a voucher for it on Groupon though that gives discounts.

cherrytree63 Tue 12-May-15 23:55:55

Tomorrow Is free entry for all, Thursday is free for people who ate BRC and BHS members.

BaldricksWife Wed 13-May-15 09:29:06

Not sure I could eat either Cherrytree but would probably be cheaper than the catering! Your own picnic there is always a wise move!

Butkin Wed 13-May-15 10:21:49

Great day out with excellent range of shops and displays plus entertainment in the main arena and showing and driving in the outside rings.

DD normally rides there but not an ideal judge for our pony this year so going elsewhere.

soundedbetterinmyhead Wed 13-May-15 19:05:14

I am dragging the family along on Sunday but we haven't been able to reserve parking when I booked the tickets last weekend. They couldn't tell me why, just that I couldn't reserve it any more this close to the show. Does this mean that the carparks will be full do you think? We are aiming to get there about 8.30am - are we better off trying to park elsewhere?

honeyroar Fri 15-May-15 23:10:33

I've just got back from today's show. Wow! Chat a super show. Way better than any show I've been to before. There's just so much going on. The Grand Prix Freestyle to music was awe inspiring.

I couldn't take a picnic as I'd just got in from a flight, but there was plenty of reasonably priced food, and healthier options than you get at the usual big events (IMO).

Most people were paying for parking on the day, it seemed, so you should be ok if you get there early, I would think.

honeyroar Fri 15-May-15 23:20:27

What not chat!

Butkin Sat 16-May-15 20:38:34

Just to continue this thread I wanted to let you know that by dodging Windsor DD got her Royal International ticket today! That means she's going to Hickstead on both her ponies - what a pleasing day!

So pleased you had a good time there Honeyroar - sure you'll go again next year..

honeyroar Sun 17-May-15 01:54:01

Well done Butkin family.

Yes, I think I will try and go for Freestyle Grand Prix day and Marathon driving day if possible next year!

What dates is Hickstead? I'm wondering if I can fit that in around flights too.

Butkin Sun 17-May-15 05:25:51

The Royal International Horse Show at Hickstead (really close to Gatwick) is on from Tuesday 28th July to Sunday 2nd August. Daily schedules are on their website.

honeyroar Sun 17-May-15 10:35:30

Thanks Butkin. I went decades ago, when I lived in Brighton. I need to wait for my July roster and see if I'm down South for it.

gailforce1 Sun 17-May-15 17:18:29

Congratulations Butkin!

BaldricksWife Mon 18-May-15 14:37:19

Well done Butkin! It's a great achievement and sounds well worth the trip.

Windsor was fantastic in the sunshine, we just love the setting and all the pomp that goes with it, having been fortunate to have won a championship here before it is the best feeling in the world!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now