Talk

Advanced search

Help - rearing horse

(20 Posts)
Keepswimming123 Tue 27-Jan-15 22:04:09

I posted a couple of weeks ago about my horse and his abscess. Took him for a walk today, all was calm. Then a car started, he reared about 5 times... Then all calm, then reared again. I was terrified. Although just talked calmly etc, and was fine. Never had such behaviour from him. Is it just a reaction to box rest??? Pretty shaken up.

Keepswimming123 Tue 27-Jan-15 22:05:24

I realise this is a non story, but it had to properly sum up courage to go and put his rug on this eve...

tattychicken Tue 27-Jan-15 22:11:11

Horses cope very differently with box rest. It is really unnatural for them, some cope well, some lose the plot, lots vary in the middle. Sounds like you coped well. Maybe try to graze him a few times, give him toys in box eg turnips/footballs etc.And Sedalin paste, mild sedative that you can get from the vet and can self administer can be a godsend and keep you both intact.

elastamum Tue 27-Jan-15 22:11:58

Poor you - it can be really scary -were you riding or leading?

If he is on box rest are you still feeding him hard feed? - if you are then stop. Give him plenty of low quality hay and no hard feed or just a handful of chaff. If it wont do any harm, do you have a school you can turn him into for an hour a day? When my big horse was on box rest I used to graze her in hand for 1/2 hour morning and night just to keep her sane.

And if you are worried please wear a hat when handling him.

Keepswimming123 Tue 27-Jan-15 22:33:27

I was taking him for a walk... And he was absolutely fine, then completely lost the plot. I felt like a very small person on a tiny thread... Especially when he reared up over me repeatedly... Weirdly my friend had said just before we went out to wear a hat. I don't think for a minute that he meant me any harm, but it really shook me up.

Keepswimming123 Tue 27-Jan-15 22:35:59

He is on a restricted feed, and I just think he is bored out of his skull. He is on loan, and the yard is super busy. I am at work all day so can only get there in the evenings... I am just super worried about his behaviour, if he is going to bugger about and rear, etc when I am only leading, then I am dreading getting on. He needs a good lunge.

Keepswimming123 Tue 27-Jan-15 22:41:16

Sorry, realised that sounds like I am making excuses. He is a lovely lovely horse, and understandably is very frustrated about being in his box all day long. And as soon as he becomes non contagious to other horses/humans (!) then he will be lunged and given free run of the field.

frostyfingers Wed 28-Jan-15 08:49:43

When mine was on box rest and I had to take him out it was like flying a kite for the first few times as he spent so much time in the air. I can recommend sticking a largish log in his stable, my horse spent happy hours chewing it..... a mirror is also a possibility, and I also bought a tennis ball on a rope (dog toy) and tied it on the bars which he enjoyed, likkits, salt licks are also helpful.

Is there anyone else who can take him out for you - once a day doesn't sound enough for him? When it comes to it I would suggest you turn him out a few times before you ride - I gave mine a bit of Sedalin when he first went in the field, I left him 48 hours then rode and he was bouncy but not homicidal.

Make sure you always wear a hat and gloves and I presume you had him in a bridle.....

Goneintohibernation Wed 28-Jan-15 09:27:26

It will be a reaction to box rest. I would lose the plot if someone shut me in a stable for 23 hours a day! Who does the horse in the morning when you can't get there? Are they able to take him out for a bit so he can stretch his legs? Is there any way of getting access to a small paddock away from the other horses that he can go in for an hour or so a day? I hope he doesn't have to be on box rest for too much longer. It doesn't sound fun for either you or him.

Bonkey Wed 28-Jan-15 12:24:01

Hat, gloves, bridle and a long rope - lunge rope if you can keep it under control - mainly so you can get out of the way of need be but still hang on.

Its scary but I bet its just a reaction to box rest. He should settle - my shetty was a nightmare but obviously hes small so not quite as lethal - he still managed to drag me across the yard at one point!

When the time comes to getting on make sure he has a good week in the field first at least, then build him up with lunging - remember there is no rush - take your time, if he seems too much then get some help.

When it comes to horses then patience and understanding are key!
Good luck!

Keepswimming123 Thu 29-Jan-15 17:24:54

Thanks all. Going to arrange for him to be lunged at the weekend. Still a bit apprehensive about taking him out now, but you are all right, he needs a blast or twenty in the field. Although it is currently snow covered here, don't want him going nuts and breaking a leg or something on the frozen ground... And looks like there is still a way to go before he can be ridden/in contact with the others... Sigh. Horses eh? Who'd have 'em?!

Keepswimming123 Thu 29-Jan-15 17:26:16

Ps do you need the vet to prescribe Sedalin?

Bonkey Thu 29-Jan-15 18:00:41

Why is he separated off from the others?

Yes I think so to Sedalin. smile

Keepswimming123 Thu 29-Jan-15 18:02:50

Because apparently he is contagious... To other horses. And no it's not strangles. I will ask the vet to see if I can get some! Thanks for your reply.

Bonkey Thu 29-Jan-15 18:31:25

If he's that contagious then surely he shouldn't be off the yard?

What have they diagnosed him with?

Tell me do one if you like...I'm nosey grin

tattychicken Fri 30-Jan-15 17:18:16

If you ring your vet and explain he might be able to prescribe Sedalin over the phone. Our vets would be happy to this in the circs, either you could collect it or they might des you the prescription which you can then use to buy the Sedalin online, which is cheaper. Useful if you're going to need a few repeat prescriptions!

Keepswimming123 Sat 31-Jan-15 11:22:33

I am not entirely sure what it is, like I said, he is on loan... But everyone is under strict instructions to handle him with medical gloves on, eeek. Apparently it's a fractured tooth that has resulted in the abscess. But vet says take it out and dentist says not to confused I just want him better (wail) and I am terrified about the prospect of getting back on him when he is better, seeing as the term 'full of beans' is going to be highly underrated... bat shit crazy would be more apt

Rosieposy4 Sat 31-Jan-15 23:22:49

If he has a tooth abscess then he really isn't contagious to other horses. Speak to your vet, then be firm with the yo/other liveries about it and start insisting that DHorse gets some turn out and equine company, then his behaviour will hopefully settle very rapidly.

Keepswimming123 Sun 01-Feb-15 16:14:31

Went to visit him today, abscess looks worse, weeping and literally got a pus covered sore on his face sad I have changed his fleece and got him a lickit to play with. He is full of beans, just hasn't got anywhere to get out his energy. Apparently one of the stables girls took him for a walk the other day, and the exact same thing happened... Feel so sorry for him, all he wants to do is get out and play!

frostyfingers Mon 02-Feb-15 18:06:36

I know you're a sharer not his owner, but do you know how this abcess is being treated? My pony had a similar issue with a lump under his chin which was oozing pus. After a dental check he was issued 21 days of antibiotics and I was given instructions to clean the lump every day with salted water to make sure it didn't heal over and could drain properly.

It obviously isn't as severe a case as yours, but somehow I think you need to suggest that his vet/dentist come to an agreement. It's not fair on the horse to be left obviously suffering because they can't decide - if it's an abcess from a dental problem then really he ought to be out and about with his head down, grazing, to help drain the thing, not hidden away in a stable doing his nut in.

You're losing your share in him whilst he's off the road so I think you're entitled to have an opinion on what's happening. Good luck.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: