Talk

Advanced search

May I have your thoughts on horse I am going to view please?

(20 Posts)
Christmashamster Tue 30-Dec-14 18:48:36

I've got a viewing booked for a 5 year old cob this week. Described as a safe happy hacker which is exactly what I'm looking for. I hurt my back badly earlier in the summer and lost my confidence as I'm concerned that I'll hurt it again (which could need an operation), also anything more than a walk at the moment is too much for me. My own horse is for sale as he is now unsuitable for my needs. My DH had a legitimate query about the 5 year old. If I buy him for pottering around the bridle paths and no more, is it going to be enough for a 5 year old? We have a lovely school here at home, so someone else could jump him etc, but will he get bored with what I intend for him? I had been looking at veteran horses, but he does seem super. Your thoughts would be very welcome.

McMW Tue 30-Dec-14 18:55:09

My now 7 year old would have hacked for miles in walk as a 4yo - but they do have their fresh days. Work getting a sharer to take some of the edge off?

Truckingalong Wed 31-Dec-14 08:07:09

Depends on the horse. If its calm and steady, then nice long hacks will suit it just fine. I'd just say make sure you have someone knowledgable to call on at the first sign of an issues with a youngster, as you don't want any unwanted behaviours to become habits!!

cheval Wed 31-Dec-14 14:16:35

If he is a nice quiet type, he will be fine with just gentle hacks. He will be less fit than a horse in harder work, so that will take the edge off, too. Good luck with the viewing.

couldbeanyone Wed 31-Dec-14 15:22:07

Couple of points:

Horses have no ambition so if you want to hack he's not going to feel he's missing out on jumping round hickstead/badminton wink

If he has a laid back temperament then will be quite happy mooching around the lanes with you. A highly strung competition bred horse may have different ideas!

I got something similar sounding at age of 6 never did anything more than hacking and he was perfectly happy. He was more interested in what food he could get hold of! grin

Good luck

SlowlorisIncognito Wed 31-Dec-14 15:24:50

It's not really about him getting bored as such- it's more about what might happen in the future. If you ever needed to sell him, it would add to his value a lot if someone had jumped him, at least a bit, and he could do things like basic lateral work (this could also be useful when hacking). However, if you had someone doing fast work with him, this will make him fitter, and maybe more difficult for you.

However, I would question how genuinely safe a five year old can be. Some horses can change a lot as they muscle up and get fitter, equally, some can be prone to getting a bit "teenager-ish" at 5/6, so he could be nice now, but become more difficult in the future. If you really only want to walk at the moment, I am not convinced any five year old would meet your needs. I have known some genuinely lovely young horses, but none that wouldn't have the occasional spook or moments of testing the boundaries.

If you do go to look at him, do you have someone experienced who could ride him out for you, preferably in traffic, and/or busy areas and see how he reacts. I would also ask lots of questions and explain your situation in detail. Also, do remember if something is too good to be true, it probably is.

Purplehonesty Wed 31-Dec-14 15:42:13

I would have thought an older horse would have been more suitable.
As previous posters have said how safe can a 5yo really be.
Mind you my purchase of a 'bombproof' 12yo jumped sideways over a hedge to avoid a tractor, threw me and ran home so....

Christmashamster Wed 31-Dec-14 18:24:15

Thank you all for your thoughts on this. I'll go along with an open mind, my confident friend and DH as well and only go forward to a second viewing if I have absolutely no doubts about him.

ExitPursuedByABear Wed 31-Dec-14 18:28:11

Go for something older. We bought a 7 year old welsh cross 15 months ago for DD who was described as a perfect gentleman. He has turned into a bully and the biggest git going. We now need to get rid of him. Interested?

Christmashamster Wed 31-Dec-14 18:44:06

Ah Exit, I'm sorry you've got a horrid welshie. I've also got a welsh cross 7 year old for sale, who is neither a git or a bully, but an on his toes jumping pony who would be much more suitable for a teenager than a broken old woman like me!

Truckingalong Wed 31-Dec-14 21:03:31

Age has got nothing to do with it. A Welshy can be tricky at 15 years old and you can buy something that's really steady at 4. There's no hard and fast rule.

Christmashamster Fri 02-Jan-15 07:57:43

Update on the viewing. The seller has decided not to sell after all. So my hunt for a happy hacker gelding continues...

Booboostoo Wed 07-Jan-15 21:18:11

I don't mean this to sound harsh but you are rushing into things. If you can only walk at the moment why is it so urgent that you find a horse in the middle of the winter? Why not concentrate on your own recovery and book some riding school lessons when you feel more ready to trot and canter to build up your confidence again. With all the good will in the world only a very elderly horse will be suitable for walk hacks and won't you outgrow this in a few months?

I am sorry you were disappointed with this possible purchase, but really you had a lucky escape. There is no five year old horse that would be content to potter about in walk for very long. Youngsters have a lot of energy, even the nicest ones will test the boundaries at some point and they need to be out and about learning from someone who can give them confidence when they hesitate.

LaLa5 Thu 08-Jan-15 04:15:20

Can you loan a horse with view to buy first? That way you can find out if you and horse are suited first.

I would agree with going for something older

RinkyTinkTen Thu 08-Jan-15 14:47:27

I don't see why not. My instructor always told me that horses don't wish for things like we do.

DHorse:
oh I wish I could go round Badminton
I wish we didn't hack
I wish Carl Hester was my rider

As long as he enjoys what he does, has good fitting tack then there's no reason you can't hack a 5 yo!

LaLa5 Thu 08-Jan-15 19:48:24

I agree - I'd love to think my horse is hoping we'll do a brilliant dressage test and jump a clear round but I think he's quite happy hacking round forests!

Pixel Thu 08-Jan-15 20:40:30

Mine's quite happy as long as he is eating.

Booboostoo Fri 09-Jan-15 11:06:56

There is a huge difference between saying that a horse doesn't have competition ambitions and thinking that a 5 yo will remain calm and settled with just walk hacks. The work a horse is asked to do has to fit its levels of energy depending on its age, level of fitness and general temperament. If you get a competition horse, i.e. a horse that is ridden very actively six days a week and expect to walk it round the block once a month things won't work out. Elderly horses are likely to be happy with and benefit from walk hacks, youngsters are not.

In any case the OP can buy Pixel's horse and watch it eat grin.

Christmashamster Fri 09-Jan-15 22:26:40

Thank you all for your further thoughts. I've discussed it a lot withDH and my horsey friends. I'm going to concentrate on finding a good home for my current pony at the moment and then look for an older hacking horse once my boy has been rehomed.

Booboostoo Sat 10-Jan-15 06:33:21

That 's a very sensible option. With a bit of luck you can find a loan rather than sale so that when you are ready to move onto something livelier your loan can go back to its owners for retirement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now