Talk

Advanced search

Buying a horse at auction (Beeston?)

(22 Posts)
mytartanscarf Mon 29-Dec-14 19:55:44

Has anyone ever done this?

Things to consider are:

I don't have a horse box or trailer - guess I'd have to hire one?
Is it strictly for experts only?

Erm - I don't know. But I'd be very grateful for your thoughts smile

Goingintohibernation Mon 29-Dec-14 19:59:35

Personally I wouldn't. I'd want to see a horse in its normal environment, and have the opportunity to try it out a couple of times before buying. Can you get them vetted at an auction? Why are you thinking of going to an auction, rather than looking through adverts?

Madcatgirl Mon 29-Dec-14 20:01:39

Pros:

Cheap

Cons:

No history
No trying out
No medical history or current afflictions

GothMummy Mon 29-Dec-14 20:02:15

Yes, I have but not at Beeston. I have only bought youngstock though. I would not consider buying anything broken in at auction.
Regarding transport, you will find a variety of people willing to transport your horse home at the auction if you ask around but personally I would get transport sorted in advance.
And please make sure the horse has a passport, especially if you buy in the car park before the sale.
G

tazzle22 Mon 29-Dec-14 20:03:39

depends on how experienced you are with horses and with the tricks that dealers get up to... there are very occasional good, uncomplicated, sound horses put through by genuine people but I would ask myself ... why would someone do that rather than sell direct.

I would say you might be lucky but would never ever advise a novice to do it !

Some sales are better than others

I have never bought from one but was involved with charity concerned with welfare of horses at markets.

JellyMould Mon 29-Dec-14 20:04:52

Bear in mind the reasons why people send horses to auctions (ie, normally, they need the horse gone quickly)

GothMummy Mon 29-Dec-14 20:05:44

Oops meant to say Good Luck and enquire what you were looking for?
I have only bought a couple of unbroken unhandled pony cobs at auction which were the sort you buy "from the field" anyway. I would never buy anything like an ex racehorse or ridden horse at auction.
I dont even go to look any more it breaks my heart.

JellyMould Mon 29-Dec-14 20:06:25

Agree that young stock is a different thing.

GothMummy Mon 29-Dec-14 20:09:34

Oh and dont believe for one minute the little notices stuck on pens about beloved horse only for sale due to marriage break up etc. Im quite convinced they are all nonsense to tug on heart strings.

mytartanscarf Mon 29-Dec-14 20:44:54

Many thanks ladies, you're fantastic.

Unfortunately despite scouring the ads I just can't find what I am looking for! Everything for sale seems to either be very large - 16hh + or a pony (below 14hh) and I am looking from about 14'3 to 15'3.

I broke in a youngster previously, and loved it, so feel it's something I'd rather like to do again. Again, there don't seem to be many youngsters available.

It could well be I'm looking in the wrong places grin (last time I was horse buying the Internet was in a more embryonic stage that now!) and so if anyone knows some fab websites I'm missing, feel free to let me know!

I'm based in Cheshire. smile

Leela5 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:03:32

There are lots of youngsters in rescues exactly the size you're looking for - we have trouble finding homes for them because folk want a horse that's rideable straight away. Give your local rescue a call. They only ask for a donation too

mytartanscarf Tue 30-Dec-14 09:44:29

I don't know anything about rescues Leela so anything you can tell me would be a help smile

Leela5 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:52:19

Use find a pet search facility on RSPCA website - lots of youngsters near you or fill in their horse adoption form and they will match you with a suitable horse.

World horse welfare - have horses in your area

Redwings is probably too far for you

Leela5 Tue 30-Dec-14 09:55:00

Normally they will ask to do a home visit, then you take horse, then they do follow up visit and sign horse over. Process depends on the organisation. You could also google local horse rescues, see if there are any near you.

I do rehoming visits for RSPCA as volunteer and it's so rewarding. I get to see horses 6 months following adoption in new home and how well they are doing, it's lovely. If you're an experienced owner they would rehome you a youngster no problem

mytartanscarf Tue 30-Dec-14 12:29:35

I'm experienced but from a long gap perspective - last owned a horse in 2004.

Leela5 Tue 30-Dec-14 12:55:49

That's not a problem as long as you can still state how to spot colic, prevent lami etc. it's like riding a bike. They will be interested that you have the time, money and facilities to care for horse properly and the experience to look after a youngster patiently to bring it on. It's not an exam, they want to rehome horses so will be keen to work with you. If yours rusty read up on horse care before speaking to them. Good luck!

kormachameleon Tue 30-Dec-14 13:03:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mytartanscarf Tue 30-Dec-14 13:06:24

Thank you - you've got me thinking now grin Laminitis - don't overfeed, especially avoid rich grass in summertime. Colic - foot stamping, gobbling food too quickly, I'm sure there are others smile

I'm in Cheshire but north Cheshire so closer to Lancashire than Shropshire if that makes sense.

GothMummy Tue 30-Dec-14 13:15:25

Its the most popular size that you are looking for but I am also surprised you have struggled, in the East Midlands we seem over run with all kinds of horses for sale. Are you looking for a cob?

mytartanscarf Tue 30-Dec-14 13:53:06

not necessarily smile I don't have a really fixed idea in my mind, to be honest - just one that's friendly and healthy! grin

Leela5 Tue 30-Dec-14 14:01:47

Honestly I would look at rescues - someone knowledgeable will have assessed the horse, vet checks done and there's the cushion of post visit to sort any issues if needed. Can be very satisfying, whereas at an auction it's luck of the draw

Booboostoo Tue 30-Dec-14 17:31:48

Have you spoken directly with breeders? There are many good studs breeding all kinds of horses.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now