Talk

Advanced search

Right, loan pony comes with all tack and full wardrobe - what do we need to buy?

(13 Posts)
Frangipane1976 Thu 18-Dec-14 17:48:42

My girls have jods, riding tops/hoodies etc. Jodhpur boots, wellies - what other footwear would you recommend? I know wellies aren't the warmest - what do you use for yard boots? I wore muck boots in my day but these seem out of favour my eldest. I've seen some younger girls in what look like Dubarrys - obviously NOT! But, are there lookalikes? These seem like a good choice and warmer.

They have grooming kits. Pony is being kept on full livery.

Thank you.

Onetwothreebanana Thu 18-Dec-14 17:56:51

I have wellies for yard and riding boots for riding.

Do you have a basic horse first aid kit? Hibiscrub, Sudocrem, wound powder etc Clean sponges

What about body protectors or air jackets if you don't already have them?

Onetwothreebanana Thu 18-Dec-14 17:58:44

Does yard require you to provide own water buckets?

Frangipane1976 Thu 18-Dec-14 18:13:11

Thanks for your reply. First aid kit now on the list.

They have body protectors but the eldest is definitely going to need a new one very soon. Is it ok to pass the outgrown one on to the younger dd?

Frangipane1976 Thu 18-Dec-14 18:13:34

No, they provide the water buckets.

Leela5 Thu 18-Dec-14 18:19:43

Get some welly warmers to go inside the girls wellies - cheaper than buying another set of boots and will keep feet warm.

Second the body protector.

Does tack include rugs, head collar, any boots pony needs and lead rope? My horse went on loan with all of these but some include tack only.

If full livery normally first aid is covered by yard but worth checking. If not you'll need the basics - cheap off eBay or viovet.

I would think full livery would provide hay nets, water and feed buckets, plus feed and supplements but worth checking. Salt lick?

The dubarry lookalike are probably ariats or similar. Wouldn't bother if you've got riding boots and wellies. They are good for general riding and yard but not very waterproof so wellies better in winter. I live in my ariats spring through autumn but I don't have riding boots as well.

Gloves? Warm ones for yard, riding gloves for riding.

Leela5 Thu 18-Dec-14 18:21:21

Only other thing I can think of is tack cleaning stuff?

JulyKit Thu 18-Dec-14 18:31:17

Skip?
Grooming kit?
Hi-viz stuff?
Any spare brushes, sponges etc. for cleaning buckets and stuff generally (useful even if DPony on full livery)?
Good storage equipment (strong plastic boxes, trunks or even dustbins for storing stuff in)?
Change of e.g. numnah and boots if DPony wears them, and other fabric things that get muddy and can be shoved in washing machine?
Plus spare gloves, warm woolly hats? (These things make a big, big difference...)
Salt licks etc., if you're into prezzies for DPony?

JulyKit Thu 18-Dec-14 18:32:27

Sorry sorry sorry - should have RTFT!

Frangipane1976 Thu 18-Dec-14 18:47:13

Yes, fortunately he comes with absolutely everything! Rugs, boots, all tack etc.

New gloves are a good idea, tack cleaning stuff can be bought as part of their horsey christmas box I'm putting together. Thanks so much, this is all so helpful.

Frangipane1976 Thu 18-Dec-14 18:52:41

Am I mad to be as excited as them?!

Leela5 Thu 18-Dec-14 20:42:13

No! It's very exciting!!!! I'm envious smile my pony is on loan because I'm pregnant. I remember buying him and it was so so exciting!

Leela5 Thu 18-Dec-14 20:54:48

If you're doing a Christmas box then things like a name plate for stable are nice. Although you might want to check how he settles first

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now