Talk

Advanced search

Colic surgery :-( advice and experience needed please

(5 Posts)
MrsCSoprano Sat 01-Nov-14 23:44:46

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Zazzles007 Sun 02-Nov-14 01:48:30

Oh MrsC I feel for you - horses become as prized to us as any of our loved ones. I don't have any advice, nor have I been through this. Just wanted you to know that there is someone here to hold your hand and empathise sad. Is she one of those 'tough nut' horses, or does she tend to be a bit precious? Do you know why they didn't give her good odds for getting through this? How old is she? It is a good sign that she is eating and pooping though.

MrsCSoprano Sun 02-Nov-14 02:14:10

Zazzles007 Sun 02-Nov-14 03:30:34

It's just so upsetting.

Agreed MrsC. Right, thinking, thinking, thinking... I don't have much experience with horses and colic surgery, however I do have some experience with surgery in people and the convalescence of said people.

If she was pretty bad before the surgery, and she had it on Thursday morning, then I would say that the vets are most likely going to want to keep her in their clinic for a while to watch her and monitor her. I doubt very much that they will want to turf her back to you until she is much, much, much stronger, and can survive a trip back to you in a truck or horse box. I would have a chat to your vet and get their help to outline a plan of action for you - Eg

* How long it might be until it is likely she will come home to you. If it is 'uncomplicated', a quick google say 5-7 days. This has been emergency colic where a complication was missed the first time, so is she likely to be there longer?
* What the safest way will be to get her home given that she will be in a weakened state?
* What you need to set up in your stable/small yard/whatever to make sure she is comfortable and happy?
* How often she will need to be monitored and who will do the monitoring - you/or a trusted person on a daily basis, but how often does the vet need to see her, and under what conditions?
* What medications, food or other things she is going to need during her convalescence?

Another quick google tells me that

"horses must be confined for about 2 months in a small stall, and hand walked several times per day. A horse must be kept from moving at speed until the incision gains sufficient strength to take the weight of the intestines and organs in movement - hundreds of pounds. Diet may need to be modified, and other specific treatment instructions may be given."

From: www.thalequine.com/Articles/Colic%20Surgery.doc I would also be asking what 'specific instructions' they might be giving you, and ask them to put this into writing so that you can cover off everything.

I am sure that there are many, many, many more questions to ask, as this is just the start. In situations like this, it is better to get lots and lots of information so that you are well prepared for mos things.

MrsCSoprano Sun 02-Nov-14 18:35:06

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now