Talk

Advanced search

Argh. Bloody horse

(3 Posts)
Keepswimming123 Wed 29-Oct-14 22:39:14

So I spent 45 mins in the pitch black trying to catch horse... She was delighted by the attention and kept cantering around me in circles... New game for her, I was less than impressed, grrr. I tried horse treats, I tried ignoring her, I tried hiding her head collar... Was tempted to pick another one from the field (one of the many ones who decided I was made of polos and that they had to follow me... I looked like the flipping pied piper...) and pretend it was mine... Any tips??

frostyfingers Thu 30-Oct-14 14:05:44

I use one of two techniques when my pony does this.

1. Pursue him round the field twirling the lead rope in his direction every time he stops, I don't let him get his head down for a moment. Eventually he gives up and walks towards me. The drawback is if this is in a big field it's knackering, and if there are lots of other horses can be tricky.

2. Walk after him halfheartedly, not approaching him directly and not looking at him. Rustle interesting things in my pocket and as soon as he looks at me or walks in my direction I casually walk off. If I get close enough I give him a tiny snack and then walk away without trying to get the rope on him or anything. 9 times out of 10 his greed gets the better of him and he's happy to be caught.

Neither of these are quick methods, but when he's being an awkward bugger they are the only ones that work.

ClaireAnneJames Fri 31-Oct-14 19:59:57

The only way with our girl is a very large long carrot. She knows she can have a bite off the end if she lets me get near her but won't get the next bite til the lead rope's round her neck. Bit stuck when we run out of carrots....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now