One thing after another. Laminitis. Then suspensory ligament failure in right hind, abcess in front then today she has gone lame in left hind and is resting it. Basically she hasn't got a leg to stand on .
I am going away a week on Saturday and feel I may need to do the deed before I go.
Oh Exit , what a shame . You're right , it is so hard .
We have them all these years , we love them and then they break our hearts. Like I said to my DS when we lost our first pony , we have to make these decisions because we love them , no matter how much it hurts , and sometimes , you just know it's time .
You know, one day my instructor and I were talking about an elderly pony at the yard, that had had to be put down. He had had one thing after another. The owners couldn't bring themselves to make the decision as he had such a feisty personality. When he was put down it was because he got to the point that he literally couldn't move. It was a shocking winters day, the field had got muddy, and his legs wouldn't work any more.
My instructor was sad he was gone, but was sadder that it had got to the point he was literally stuck in the mud. I remember she said to me, wouldn't it have been nicer, knowing that he wouldn't in all honesty (something that they wouldn't face up too, even though the vet was telling them this) survive another winter, pick a nice day, let him feel the sun on his back, him be happy, give him a carrot and his last thoughts be happy. than literally unable to move (he had terrible arthritis) and miserable. That is what I will keep in mind when we get to this point.
A better a happy day to soon, than a day too late.
Well I didn't do it. Vet came and found a bruise on her left hind sole. He thinks she looks really well and it is not yet time. He says I will know. I do want her to have a few more days in the sun and as I said I don't want to be pushed into a corner because of going away.
So, the witch lives to fight and bite another day.
Thanks for your kind words. I feel completely wrung out!
Don't you just luv em?! I'm so glad though that it's just a bruise for now, what a relief. You can breathe a sigh of relief and go away with a clear head.
Dpony has just had his 2nd bout of colic in 4 weeks and on Monday morning until Monday lunchtime we were sitting with him waiting for an improvement - vet said that if nothing had changed by then it was time to say goodbye......
He perked up just in time, and is now tearing around his field as if nothing has happened - I on the other hand am watching his every move like a hawk - if he has a snooze I go out to prod him, if he rolls I make sure he gets up, if he's not eating I go and check why, and I'm knackered. The vet has advised that if it occurs again in the next few weeks we have to consider whether to continue treatment - I'm dithering between waiting and seeing if it happens again, and having to deal with him as an emergency, or picking a time when he's ok - nightmare.
It's very hard to deal with for the first few weeks, don't beat yourself up. My last incident of PTS was an emergency and it was grim but after bursting into tears at random moments for several weeks I began to replace the awful last few hours with memories of the happy times.
Any twitches, moans and movements of the rib cage are all post mortem - she would not have been alive (presume it was injection?) when those movements occurred I promise. It is horrid to see a horse go down, but try to remember that they don't know what's coming and they're no longer in pain.
My vet took me aside to explain all that before he injected, even though it was an emergency, and I'm very grateful to him for that otherwise I would have been pretty shocked.