Advanced search

To vet or not vet?

(19 Posts)
D0G Sun 23-Mar-14 19:49:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Incapinka Sun 23-Mar-14 19:51:14

I didn't but I knew his history and what he had been up to. However if there had been any doubt I would have vetted...

ManateeEquineOHara Sun 23-Mar-14 20:05:42

If you know their history I wouldn't say it was totally necessary, probably just reassuring. I had my loan horse vetted before I bought him. He was 10% lame after flexion on one of his hinds but he had stringhalt so I suspected that there may be a low degree of unsoundness. I bought him anyway as he was a hack and this did not effect day to day riding, so although the vetting didn't effect if I bought him or not in light of what it showed it did get me money off his sale price.

D0G Sun 23-Mar-14 20:45:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

snowpo Sun 23-Mar-14 20:58:37

I would. A vetting will pick up things like a heart murmour or cataracts that you might not otherwise know about.

Butkin Mon 24-Mar-14 06:43:57

Are you planning to insure? Check with them as they may require a basic vetting. We'd go for a 3 stage just for peace of mind..

Butkin Mon 24-Mar-14 06:45:12

I would also suggest that getting a horse vetted doesn't reflect on the current owners. It may have something wrong with it that hasn't surfaced yet but could cause you problems in the future.

D0G Mon 24-Mar-14 07:28:00

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

mrslaughan Mon 24-Mar-14 07:34:16

I would.....someone on our yard went to sell there apparently very sound has been jumping etc, no lameness. It failed its vetting as early stages of navicular showed up, not enough to make it lame yet.

Littlebigbum Mon 24-Mar-14 09:30:04

With Mrs laugh the seller would not even know.

Yeehaw Mon 24-Mar-14 12:06:43

I got £10 a month off my insurance with a 5 stage vetting AND it gave me peace of mind as both passed fully.

Mirage Mon 24-Mar-14 13:41:41

I would.Things like Cushings are not only found in older horses and ponies,and not all display obvious symptoms.But it is incurable,has other health implications and the maintenance treatment is expensive.When we took on our newest pony,his insurers wouldn't cover him for medical bills unless he had a negative Cushings test.

mrslaughan Mon 24-Mar-14 17:43:03

Thats right Littlebigbum, seller didn't have any idea - thought they were selling a completely sound pony. They have had to re-think what they are going to do, they are not going to sell now, treat it, see how it goes, see what it will be capable of long-term. They may look for a sharer or loan it in the long term, but it will depend on how the condition developed, or doesn't in the next couple of months, and it will always have to stay at current yard where they can keep a very close eye on it.
If the potential purchaser had not had it vetted though they would have bought a pony, that probably in a very short amount of time would have become lame.

D0G Tue 25-Mar-14 21:08:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Stinkyminkymoo Wed 26-Mar-14 14:03:26

I would and even got my 8mo youngster vetted. It's best for insurance and things you may not notice.

It's a bit like house buying I reckon, what can you live with and what can't you? My previous horse had a bit if left over tissue in his eye (it is more complex but you can have a look at my post on it) and when I bought him I wasn't bothered as it wouldn't have gotten worse or affected his sight. When I sold him the vetting vet thought it was a cataract and the buyer pulled out. I since sent her all the vets info I had incl my original vetting and she bought him. I'd have been screwed if I'd either not got him vetted or lost it!

Good luck with whatever you decide. grin

Pixel Wed 26-Mar-14 17:38:49

My insurance company have never asked if I had dhorse vetted when I bought him.

Booboostoo Sat 29-Mar-14 10:59:25

Who had the vet certificate done? It's usually the buyer so why didn't they proceed with the sale? Have you seen the vet certificate? Ask for a copy and ask to speak to the vet who carried out the vetting. The vet won't speak with you without permission from the person who commissioned the vetting, but get the original buyer or the owner (whoever asked for the vetting) to allow this. Then get details from the vet about exactly what he thought of the horse.

Sorry I suspicious as I have seen just too many horror stories! Also check the horse's passport matches the horse.

Whether the insurance asks for a vetting or not depends on the value of the horse. If they do want a vetting they will want to see a copy of the document and it has to be recent.

Fathertedfan Sun 30-Mar-14 21:10:46

I've always had horses vetted before buying. Whether I knew them beforehand or not. But then I'm pretty hopeless at spotting problems, too easily swayed by a kind eye and a pretty face!

Butkin Mon 31-Mar-14 20:28:37

Booboo spot on...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: