Talk

Advanced search

Trailer floor question?

(6 Posts)
dopeysheep Thu 13-Feb-14 18:54:21

So my trailer has a layer of solid planks running lengthwise but no second layer. Does it need one do you think? Not travelled anywhere yet just loading practice, it is a Rice trailer.

Mirage Thu 13-Feb-14 20:14:36

You could put some rubber matting down,it stops them slipping and helps prevent horse wee rotting the floor/your electrics.My Ifor has a wooden floor with rubber on top.

dopeysheep Thu 13-Feb-14 20:44:11

Oh yes it does have decent rubber mats as well. Only I looked at another Rice trailer and that one had cross planks on top so wondered if I should get these put in over the lengthwise planks?

snowpo Thu 13-Feb-14 20:52:12

No, best to leave it as long as the wood you have is in good condition. I have an old Bahill which is the same as the Rice and when I had the floor fitted (lengthwise planks) they said another layer would just trap moisture and encourage rot. I just take the rubber mats up now and then to allow the wood to dry if its got damp.

dopeysheep Thu 13-Feb-14 20:55:27

Thanks snowpo, I was wondering about the damp issue. The floor is in good order, I have had a good poke about and no soft spots etc. I am just a bit unsure as it is my first trailer.

Butkin Mon 17-Feb-14 12:54:46

We had an ifor with wooden flooring and then suddenly one of our horses put their foot through a rotten bit. We changed to a metal floor and were very relieved no damage was done. We got back the cost of the floor when we came to sell the trailer on..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now