Talk

Advanced search

What Now?????

(8 Posts)
assumpta Mon 10-Feb-14 20:22:03

Hi. Yippee! We have found a loan pony for my daughter. However....The owner first told us that he was 15, then 17 and now transpires as she sends all the info through that he is 18. She said that she wanted him insured for £5000. A person I spoke to at the weekend, who has seen him said prob not worth half that with no disrespect to the pony but...
I have rung a couple of companies.NFU said that their insurance wouldnt be suitable for us as they would only put his value at £500.
Scottish equestrian said not worth £5000 but maybe £1500 so I got a quote from them but NO illness insurance due to age, only injury, for up to£4000 vet fees, excess of £500, and non vet fees for transport to hosp and livery whilst there with £500 excess across the year. This would cost me without personal accident insurance £193.48 a year, and with personal insurance £199.36 a year. So it would make sense to go with the latter.
If the policy had been taken out with them since he was 16 and the policy was unbroken then they could probably just do a transfer of names, and be insured for illness also. I have checked with owner and she checked with previous loaner and his insurance finished when she handed him back to the owner on 30 jan this year.
What do I do now? Do I just insure him for injury only? What happens if he gets sick? The owner has said he has had no illness throughout his life and dental checked each year, no problems. Am I liable for all vet fees through illness? Is the owner trying to pull the wool over my eyes as she knows I am 'green' when it comes to horses? Thank you all so much. I truly value your opinions and advice.

snorris Mon 10-Feb-14 20:27:34

Have you looked at Pet Plan? If you insure a horse before the age of 20 they will cover it for illness up to 25 years. His value does sound a bit high and they may well ask for proof of it.

assumpta Mon 10-Feb-14 20:52:25

I did originally look with pet plan, but with all the original info, and it was coming to almost £1700 per year. The owner has now said that £1500 is ok as she had been looking at an old agreement. I will put in all new information and see what I get?

assumpta Mon 10-Feb-14 21:24:22

Hi. I looked at Petplan, and it says injury only too.

snorris Tue 11-Feb-14 05:56:16

Were you looking at their veteran cover? The standard insurance definitely covers illness before 20 as I insured an 18 yo mare I had on loan, her owner only valued her at £750 though!

assumpta Tue 11-Feb-14 20:57:37

It doesn't seem to cover illness. How long ago was it?

snorris Tue 11-Feb-14 21:09:54

C&p from their website "1. Illness Cover up to 25 years of age
Today, more and more owners are choosing to keep their older horses on active duty rather than putting them out to grass. One of the key features of our horse insurance policy is that while many insurers still limit cover to injury only for horses aged 16 years or over, we cover illness up to 25 years of age - as long as cover is taken out before the horse’s 20th birthday."

Click on this link and scroll down.
HTH smile

5OBalesofHay Tue 11-Feb-14 21:13:14

Get the owner to cover under existing insurance and pay them the premium

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now