Talk

Advanced search

Riding in/around London

(6 Posts)
ephemeralfairy Tue 04-Feb-14 13:20:44

Hi all

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks and what I really want to do on the day is have a ride somewhere. I've been riding 20+ years, very experienced, loaned horses through my teens/early 20s but I only manage to ride once every few months or so now when I visit my mum.

Can anyone recommend a good place? It needs to be accessible by public transport as I don't drive. I went a few years back to a place in Wimbledon Village and we rode on the Common which was lovely but I can't remember the name....

Thanking you!

horsemadmom Tue 04-Feb-14 14:48:03

Wimbledon Village stables. Trent Park is also fab. Across from Oakwood tube station on the Picadilly line. Beautiful off road hacking. They do 3hr pub rides through Whitewebb's but you might need to be known for them to trust your ability before you book- too many people lie, sadly.

ephemeralfairy Tue 04-Feb-14 16:56:23

Thanks!! Sadly Trent Park require you have at least one assessment lesson first, which is very wise of them but I don't really have time/money for that AND a hack at the moment. It does look lovely though, I will def bear it in mind for the future!
Have just remembered it was Ridgway Stables in Wimbledon (which conveniently has a pub right next door where I can park DP!)

Am also looking at Kingston Riding Centre.

hatcam Tue 04-Feb-14 17:54:52

Windsor great park? 5,000 acres of parkland with miles of off road hacking - lots of lovely long long canters and amazing scenery. Short train ride from London/taxi hop to stables or directly to the great park where riders meet the horse lorries. Would recommend Wayside Stables for forward going but safe hacking horses, small groups (esp weekdays) - def not your average nose to tail hackers. They do 2 hour hacks.

daisy5569 Tue 04-Feb-14 18:15:58

I think most places would require an assessment lesson first, before allowing clients out on a hack.
I ride at a riding school which is in epping forest and they like to know that riders are confident in walk trot and sometimes canter before they are allowed on a hack. Thinks its all down to health and safety regs.
Trent Park often do offers on Groupon which may be worth looking at, then maybe you could combine the assessment lesson and a hack at a reduced rate.

ephemeralfairy Fri 07-Feb-14 15:16:12

Hi again
I have just booked a private hack at Ridgway Stables in Wimbledon Village. Will bear all yr good suggestions in mind tho as I'm hoping it'll be a more regular thing smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now