Talk

Advanced search

oh God! potential liability claim!

(21 Posts)
SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 04-Feb-14 08:53:38

FFS! We had storms here Saturday night and my ponies took shelter against the tree line and managed to knock a fence rail down and get into the neighbours garden.
Its a big rough, tree filled garden type of about 3 acres and they've been all over. Nothing broken but hoof prints everywhere. sad Thankfully they are un shod do most are just shallow ring type prints.
Neighbour was a away but text me initially to day no worried but on returning isn't happy with her back lawn and is suggesting that if it doesn't repairer itself it'll need replacing and she's going to take photos. sad
Ive notified the bhs with whom I hold public liability, and now I just have to wait and see if the lawn sorts itself out. I suppose that'll be once spring gets here.
I feel really sick. I have always had PLI but never needed to claim. What ll I do if they won't pay out in the event? I've never had any kind of insurance claim.
Should I go and take my own pictures? what should I do?

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 04-Feb-14 08:54:33

How much does a new lawn even cost? confused

beachyhead Tue 04-Feb-14 08:57:18

I guess this is why you have insurance... Might be worth taking the initiative and contact a local gardener or landscaper to quote for putting it right.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 04-Feb-14 09:00:22

is that not accepting liability though? Apparently I'm not meant to do that under any circumstances. sad

Theas18 Tue 04-Feb-14 09:06:31

Not a horsey person but your are insured so try not to worry why would they not pay out? . Ultimately you'll be out of pocket by the excess and your premium might go up but that's the "worst" .

Take your own pictures for the record.

No one was hurt or died. I'm sure actually the PL insurance is much more used to bigger claims when actual "bad stuff" has happened not a bit of grass squished by some unshod ponies. have a brew

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 04-Feb-14 09:10:09

I know I know! I've just got so much to worry about at the moment and this is the final straw! sad I'm not even going to mention this to dp! he'll go spare! sad

dappleton Tue 04-Feb-14 10:00:10

just got my new BHS pack through last week, the gold membership PLI does state that it covers accidental damage to 3rd party property and the exclusions don't seem to relate to your circumstances. I'm sure even if it comes to it you are most definitely insured - and that's if the spring grass can't cover up some hoof prints in the meantime. I think you can relax cake

DolomitesDonkey Tue 04-Feb-14 12:42:01

I had similar. Some knob-jockey left the gate open and of course they took refuge on someone's newly-laid lawn. He came round effing and blinding, I told him I had insurance and then never heard another peep. Fingers crossed!

Floralnomad Tue 04-Feb-14 15:13:39

I would definitely go and take your own photos just for peace of mind , I don't know how you cannot accept liability ,they're your ponies and its her garden , I suppose you could claim that whoever owns the field should have maintained the fence better and claim against them ,unless of course you own the field and that's you . I wouldn't get too stressed ,at least they didn't break into a golf course or bowls club !

Lovesswimming Tue 04-Feb-14 18:56:42

I found 2 of mine in my next doors garden one morning! He had put his grass clippings next to the fence! He was ok though (it's a pristine garden!) he told me he had cows in there once that made a tight mess. Don't worry about it saggy, it will sort itself out. It's not like you took them out and denied it

CMOTDibbler Tue 04-Feb-14 18:58:44

yep, take photos, and you've advised your insurer, so it'll be fine. And I can't imagine there'll be anything to claim for as they are unshod

AnUnearthlyChild Tue 04-Feb-14 19:03:36

as a horsy ex landscape Gardner, lawns are dead easy to repair, especially this time of year.

Insert border fork about 3 in behind the hoofprint, lift at an angle to relieve the compression. Sprinkle with a suitable compost mix, rake level and seed. Will be unnoticeable by May once the grass has grown through. Loads quicker than a new lawn.

Any decent landscaper will be able to sort this for you. Done it loads of times myself, takes about 2 mins per print to do.

If you have serious churning then laying a strip of turf over suitably prepared ground will sort it. Also done this quite often smile

Pixel Tue 04-Feb-14 20:00:39

I would have thought that with the ground soft it would just need rolling. The grass will sort itself out. It would be different if it was newly seeded but this sounds like it would have a decent root system.

Mirage Tue 04-Feb-14 20:09:11

Don't panic! I'd be very surprised if it needed anything doing to it come spring.As a gardener,I'd do exactly what Anunearthlychild says,it is dead easy and very quick.smile

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Tue 04-Feb-14 20:16:38

I went to see the owner of the lawn this afternoon. I did text her back but I really felt like I ought to speak to her. She was very nice. said that she 2 as sure it would right itself by spring but she just wanted to let me know.
Told her the youngsters were going this spring and she asked how much for! She's considering a pony for her kids! I suggested a free ride with a view to loaning her a shetland! wink wink
I think I've managed to calm down a bit now. I had a horrible time years ago with someone who tried to sue me for getting kicked. It was not my fault and I wasn't liable but it got very acrimonious and really upset me at the time. I was having early morning flash backs! confused

SimLondon Wed 05-Feb-14 23:02:00

Saggy - sounds stressful :-( will you let me know when you are letting the youngsters go to new homes please, our fencing is going to start going up in the next couple of weeks and dd is having her first go on a pony tomorrow for her third birthday present :-) she 'fluffed' your foal a few weeks back - whatever that means.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 05-Feb-14 23:06:06

Any time really, although this isn't Louise's foals which you might have seen. I've got a really sweet sec a gelding who is 3 in may and a cob x shetland filly who is exactly the same age.

Stinkyminkymoo Wed 05-Feb-14 23:29:18

Sounds a nightmare, but in all honesty, I can't imagine anyone's lawn looking nice at the moment!

Make sure you take photos and I'll bet by the time spring comes around and this godforsaken rain is over you won't be able to see any hoofmarks.

If that fails, go buy a few rolls of turf and patch it up, this is what we do with the dog wee patches and you can barely even tell! grin

SimLondon Wed 05-Feb-14 23:50:38

Oh I'm sorry, I thought that the little boy at Louise's was a joint effort? between her stallion and your mare - although i may have totally misunderstood, it's not the first time! Anyway I'd love to come and see your two anytime, i'm off work right now and dd is at nursery during the day so let me know if you fancy meeting up for a cuppa - i can bring cake or a politically correct healthy alternative :-)

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 06-Feb-14 00:48:43

Kind of a joint effort. smile
Im off too but I have to say, everyone looks like horrible mud encrusted poo right now! my paddocks are sodden and its horrible! sad

SimLondon Thu 06-Feb-14 10:56:33

Think everyone's in the same boat, our field looks like it has a small lake in the middle.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now