Tendon/ligament injury - Dpony(32 Posts)
Hi there, would appreciate some advice.
Found Dpony a week last Monday completely unable to weight bear in his field. Clearly in considerable pain.
Emergency Vet called naturally, sedation and a thorough examination in the field before moving him to his stable via the trailer. Sedation allowed a touch of weight bearing, which the vet was pleased about.
Diagnosis was tendon/ligament related. Complete box rest for 5 days. Then walking 5 times a day on hard surfaces. Sadly, he developed colic on the Friday (stress, change in diet, routine etc) so Vet was back out then!
First 24/48 hours showed massive improvements. There has never been any swelling or heat strangely and he walks fine on hard surface but his leg 'gives out' every so often on soft surfaces even after nearly 10 days.
We've had a tough week or so getting DD and myself to farm that many times a day, but love our pony and will do whatever it takes.
Yesterday, we rigged up a paddock in a very quiet field and let him graze there with a companion while we mucked out, a total of maybe an hour, injury no worse for this. The usual paddock is where he can see his own field and (more importantly), the mares, which, frankly, sends him loopy usually I plan to have him in this quiet field where he can't get too excited until he's absolutely fully sound.
Vet now wants us to move towards gentle turnout, which I completely understand, I would want to move about and shake off any stiffness if I had a strain and I am not sure the rest is having any further benefit. Plus, I want him out as much as possible over winter anyway, I don't want to baby him. I am just scared of going backwards with him!!! We are going on a long planned holiday next week and, while we have very good friends who will help, I can't realistically expect this level of commitment if he re-injures himself.
We have a physio calling back but not sure when they will treat him as he's quite sought after round here.
Just looking to vent a bit really, I am a worrier but want to do the right thing too.
Thank you again.
The only possible reason for me taking a different view would have been if the prognosis for a 'useful' future was very slim. He's only 12, enjoys being ridden, taken to all the new stuff we have thrown at him with good spirit and willingness.
Had it been that we would be out of pocket to the tune of 000's (which we will be), with a relatively young pony that could not be worked again or suffer pain, then I might have considered that not in anybody's best interest (our pockets are not endlessly deep and pragmatism kicks in at some stage) but our odds seem relatively positive and I will take that chance.
He'll be with us for life though, even if loaned from the yard.
Bet you are glad you don't have that many equine family members now!
That didn't sound right!! I simply meant I wouldn't have wanted him to suffer, either physically or mentally, if the chances were very slight.
That's why I've never replaced my riding horse ,I haven't the time to look after one myself now and honestly don't want to commit to 2 lots of full livery ,added to which I struggle to find a yard where I'm happy with the care . The Dartmoor was my sons ,we got her when they were both 6 ,they're now 20 and he lost interest when he was 7 , he preferred the Shetland we had before !
I am sorry tohear about the break but what good luck you chose to go the whole hog with the scintigraphy - I suspect the break may have been very tough to diagnose otherwise. There is so much more they can do for breaks now, I wish him a speedy recovery.
What a nightmare, thank heavens you've got to the bottom of it and dpony is doing well. I would have made the same decision as you - the prognosis is good, he should have a useful and happy life, and the treatment whilst not straightforward is not too stressful. With the right information I don't think these decisions are too hard - when my dhorse reached the end of the road with sarcoids, after ££££'s and hours spent caring for him I just knew I was doing the right thing, not too soon and not too late (thanks to a good vet). It still hurt like hell to take the decision, but it was the right one. You will have known if that decision was for you on this occasion, thankfully it obviously wasn't/isn't.
Dpony sounds sensible and I'm sure with the right management he'll come right, 3 months really isn't that long. Dhorse had kissing spine surgery in June and at the time 3 months seemed like ages, but actually he's fit, well and about to start hunting again - it will fly.
Also it's probably the best 3 months of the year to be lame as there is a limit to what you can achieve anyway with school and dark nights .
Thank you all again, I agree that although I don't relish early starts in the dark, better now than early spring!
It's also good to hear stories of pony's coming back into work after serious conditions. The post operative written assessment is really very positive for him and he's walking amazingly well on it already, with the caveat that he was actually weight bearing pre diagnosis far better than he 'should' have, given the injury.
Anyway, he's back home, in the biggest and best stable at the farm (all relative!), eating hay like the proverbial horse and very settled, which is great, he has always been a but stressy away from the others but the enforced box rest seems to have got him over this as we decided after two initial weeks of borrowing companions and mucking out two stables, swapping companions over etc that he would just have to lump it!
The vet has reduced his bill considerably too voluntarily, which makes me wonder how far I could have pushed a complaint, I am not that sort of person though, given the positive prognosis anyway.
Dpony looked at me like I was a loon today as I tied a turnip up with some string in his stable, tried some music too but he looked positively alarmed at Take That!
Join the discussion
Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.Register now
Already registered with Mumsnet? Log in to leave your comment or alternatively, sign in with Facebook or Google.
Please login first.