Advanced search

To buy or not to buy that is the question...

(18 Posts)
Incapinka Tue 27-Aug-13 12:22:36

I just wanted to know whether I was being a bit mad....! DH and I have one DC who is 2. For the past 4 months we have been TTC DC2 but so far no luck. To be honest I am not too fussed either way and if it happens it happens. However one of the people I teach is selling an ex racer who I really like. Now the law of sod will no doubt mean that if I do buy him I will get a BFP immediately won't I. So am I mad to be considering it? I am experienced and have a supportive husband but any opinions would be welcome...!

Booboostoo Tue 27-Aug-13 14:26:06

Have you owned a horse before? If yes then you know what is involved and you can imagine whether you would enjoy the experience while pregnant/with a newborn or not, so it's up to you whether you want to take the risk that you'll end up with a new horse and a new baby. If you haven't owned a horse before now does not sound like a good time to start. Why not find a share? That way you can have a bit of fun but not the full time commitment and if you fall pregnant again and it's all a bit too much you can always give it up.

Incapinka Tue 27-Aug-13 19:30:11

Thanks for replying. I have owned before and used to compete to a relatively high level before i sold all mine when I was 21 and decided to get a proper job. Since having DC I have not gone back to work and now spend my time schooling other people's and teaching which I love but do miss having my own to actually do the fun stuff which I work towards on others and then watch their owners have the fun of it. And I do rather like the horse for sale. Just wish I had a crystal ball! There isn't really a right or wrong answer to the question but just wanted some views. With regards to sharing it is something I would consider but I would want control of the situation as in I own the horse and ideally get to teach the sharer so it is made to go correctly... Am looking forward to seeing horse again and hoping the way forward will become clear!

mrslaughan Tue 27-Aug-13 20:33:14

Since you well in truly know what's involved with horse ownership, the question is, do you have a support network to look after DC/DCs or the financial wherewithal to fund child care.... If yes I would go for it.

Incapinka Tue 27-Aug-13 20:44:28

I think so... And if the situation becomes unmanageable he can go to my parents for some time out. I am very lucky that I have a lovely DH and parents. I have been putting odd getting a horse since TTC and have now got to the stage that it hasn't happened yet, who knows when it will and as I may have said wink I like this horse...! Next ride tomorrow. Eek!

bonzo77 Tue 27-Aug-13 20:56:29

You can waste a lot of your life waiting to fall pregnant. I know I did. If you have the practical support and the cash, then I'd do it. Worse case scenario you buy the horse, get a BFP immediately and you turn the horse away for a year. By the time you get a BFP most people are a month in, so that's 8 months to be pregnant and 4 months to get organised. Totally doable if you have child care sorted, all the more so if you have help with yard duties. If the horse is in work when you get your BFP, you can still turn it away if you can't find a sharer you're happy with (or ride it yourself if you're that way inclined).

Littlebigbum Tue 27-Aug-13 20:58:22

Live is for living. Do it and I hope it all works out.... I life by Murphy law to, best way

Incapinka Tue 27-Aug-13 21:03:08

That is kind of what I wanted to hear... So thank you! If anyone fancies an update then I will keep you all posted. I am hoping most of my kit will fit him. I just hope we get along together tomorrow. Am feeling like a child on Christmas Eve!!

Booboostoo Tue 27-Aug-13 21:46:11

I think you will be fine, go for it! Sounds like you really know what you are getting into, you have options if you need a bit of time for a pregnancy/baby and it will all work out. Hope it goes well tomorrow!

Incapinka Tue 27-Aug-13 21:52:48

Thank you. I haven't actually slept properly for the last week since actually thinking this could be a reality. Hoping that if I don't sleep tonight then I will tomorrow after making a decision one way or the other. This may come across as a bit of a pointless post but it has been great having some useful opinions and also the view of getting on with life. I am now singing off that hymn sheet!

Gilbertus Tue 27-Aug-13 22:07:45

How exciting! Keep us posted!

Incapinka Tue 27-Aug-13 22:15:01

Thanks! I will!

Incapinka Wed 28-Aug-13 08:01:32

Good grief I have butterflies!!! Not riding it until later but feel like I am about to go cross country!! Have also lost 3lbs the last couple of days and think it must be due to the anticipation!!

Incapinka Thu 29-Aug-13 07:34:58

So it looks as though we have a new addition to the family... Arrives on Monday so now have to dig through the old kit and see what will fit! So exciting!

bonzo77 Thu 29-Aug-13 07:58:27

Good for you. Hope it all works out, horse and TTC

Booboostoo Thu 29-Aug-13 17:12:34


Incapinka Thu 29-Aug-13 20:39:24

Thank you! Exciting times!

roadkillbunny Thu 29-Aug-13 21:53:19

Congratulations, sounds like you have a great set up and I think you have made absolutely the right decision, have fun with the new addition and do keep us posted! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: