"Interesting" sales technique

(63 Posts)
superfluouscurves Fri 08-Mar-13 11:56:57

here

shock

superfluouscurves Fri 08-Mar-13 12:01:11

Oops - that should have read mysogynistic "interesting""

Bonnefoi Fri 08-Mar-13 12:05:14

Lordy. shockJust boggling at the width of saddle that horse would need.

superfluouscurves Fri 08-Mar-13 12:24:46

and the feed bill ...

WillowKnicks Fri 08-Mar-13 12:45:47

We visited Kelly's Cobs last year to look at a pony & they had something similar then (think he was even bigger!) called Toffee...my dh's words were "imagine the state of the field with those hooves churning it!".

I rode a Belgian draft horse on holiday last year...she was HUGE!!

WillowKnicks Fri 08-Mar-13 12:48:20

We visited Kelly's Cobs last year to look at a pony & they had something similar then (think he was even bigger!) called Toffee...my dh's words were "imagine the state of the field with those hooves churning it!".

I rode a Belgian draft horse on holiday last year...she was HUGE!!

superfluouscurves Fri 08-Mar-13 12:55:20

Was it an Ardennais Willow?

I love those! They are meant to be quite gentle.

(I'm in Belgium as it happens.)

Might pm you about Kelly's Cobs if I may? Interested in buying a safe, weight-bearing, plod and they were going to be one of my port of calls. Ultra-cautious about buying from a dealer though.

chocolatecakeystuff Fri 08-Mar-13 13:32:31

Sperfluscurves can you me please about kellys cobs.

I can't write what id like too on here after the whole 'dealers' thread being pulled.

Callisto Fri 08-Mar-13 13:33:07

That is not a cob, its a bloody draught horse of some description. It's even got a brand. It must be an import. I wonder if the seller got it cheap on the continent (going for meat maybe?).

I must say that that spiel plus the fact he is trying to sell a draught horse as a riding cob would put me right off. It is hugely unprofessional and the seller sounds like he would be less than honest about the horses he sells.

Callisto Fri 08-Mar-13 13:42:56

Compare and contrast:
Dutch draft team
Belgian draft

WillowKnicks Fri 08-Mar-13 15:23:42

superfluscurves I can't remember if she was but apparently she was quite temperamental & would take off with a nervous rider...thankfully they didn't tell me that until I got off shock. Feel free to pm me about Kelly's Cobs...I didn't buy but did try out a pony for my daughter, so I would be really interested to hear any feedback from anyone else.

Calisto, yes you're right, they do import them in from the continent on a regular basis.

DolomitesDonkey Fri 08-Mar-13 15:49:00

Looks like a standard Belgian Ardennes draft to me. They're bred for meat often enough. Drive around rural Belgium and you'll see them with docked tails and working the farm.

A friend does dressage on hers. You need to hold on to your can because the earth moves! ;)

Fwiw, they don't churn up the mud because they've got big, wide dinner plates and if you don't shoe them ...

I had a massive genuine 17.2hh who shared a field with a couple of these big girls, they made her look like a spindly tb and she was full Hanoverian! wink

Pixel Fri 08-Mar-13 15:55:57

Never mind all that, I want a horse named Clarissa!

I wish the 20 stone girl at our yard had bought one of these instead of a TB X then I wouldn't have to avert my eyes so often, but yes, imagine buying tack! Do you think it would be a match even for a Wintec Wide? I've recently got one for dhorse and it's ridiculous how wide it looks up against a normal saddle, surely anything wider would be sort of flat confused.

Mmm yes musn't mention the D-word must we lest we say something true unflattering...

superfluouscurves Fri 08-Mar-13 16:10:59

willow thank you! Sorry, I don't have any info at all about Kellys Cobs but am seeking it ... wondering if they are worth a visit.

Glad you survived the ride on the Ardennes!

chocolatecakeystuff will do!

Dolomites agree it definitely looks like an Ardennes (would be easier to tell if it was a bit better groomed) and yes, still quite a few butchers selling horse-meat here

Pixel sorry to be really thick/slow on update but intrigued by 'D' word????

Is no-one going to say anything about the ex-wife comment then? That is putting me off already...

Pixel Fri 08-Mar-13 16:33:36

<whispers> Dealers. We've had a few threads pulled recently because people related their frustration at being sold unsuitable horses by a certain dealer with a terrible after-sales/returns policy.

Kormachameleon Fri 08-Mar-13 16:47:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

superfluouscurves Fri 08-Mar-13 16:49:17

Pixel Of course! Duh! Sorry!!!! Must drink less red wine get to bed on time ...brain has gone to sleep today ...

A real nuisance if you genuinely want to find out about which are good, and which are not.

Agree Kormachameleon!!

Littlebigbum Fri 08-Mar-13 17:33:53

Went to the web site, omg she has 7 heavy horse ???? pls pm if any feed back

chocolatecakeystuff Fri 08-Mar-13 19:10:16

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

chocolatecakeystuff Fri 08-Mar-13 19:12:45

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Littlebigbum Fri 08-Mar-13 19:23:35

Good to know, love heavy horse.

Littlebigbum Fri 08-Mar-13 19:24:47

lol the only saddle I have that would fit is a racing saddle very old. I just think that is so funny

Pixel Fri 08-Mar-13 19:32:49

The ones thou shall not name are talking about changing their name so you won't be able to name them anyway grin.

chocolatecakeystuff Fri 08-Mar-13 19:37:26

Really to what? 'Just another dealer' ? Hehehe

Littlebigbum Fri 08-Mar-13 19:45:22

Twice the price dealer?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: