Talk

Advanced search

Making a costume for a horse this afternoon - help please!!!!

(13 Posts)
OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 21-Oct-12 11:51:51

Dd is going to a Halloween party next weekend with a horse that isn't her own and we have no chance to go and measure it or anything before the day. Dd wants to go as 'death', which is fine, but what on earth do we do with the horse??? It hasn't got a mane (I have no idea why) and is black.
I've got plenty of fabric, a sewing machine and some red horse glitter.
Please help, almost everyone else seems to go with fab expensive ready bought outfits and this is the first time we've had chance to do a horse as well as dd.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 21-Oct-12 12:03:37

Dd needs to be able to ride the horse while it is wearing the costume.
This feels impossible!

DameFannyGallopsAtaGhost Sun 21-Oct-12 12:05:50

I'd be tempted to spray paint some bones on it, but then I know nothing about horses grin

bonzo77 Sun 21-Oct-12 12:10:02

Yes! Paint on bones with water based paint.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 21-Oct-12 12:11:48

I wonder if that is doable!! But I'd probably get all the bones wrong grin this is part of the problem. I know very little about horses which is tricky when everyone else at the stables seems to be an expert!

Tempted to go and buy an exercise sheet and decorate that somehow. But that wouldn't do the head. And how do i know what size to buy??

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 21-Oct-12 12:12:25

Bonzo is there a special paint??

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 21-Oct-12 12:13:56

I've got poster paint?

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 21-Oct-12 12:30:12

Dd says they aren't allowed to paint them and lots of people are going to paint excercise sheets as skeletons.
She wants a fire horse. Great! So we are off to get an excercise sheet and hopefully We can make lots of coloured flames coming off it. Flames off its bridle too.
I hope it works!!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sun 21-Oct-12 13:39:43

In terry pratchett, deaths horse is called Binky! He looks just like a normal horse, because death found a skeletal horse was too uncomfy!

OhYouBadBadKitten Sun 21-Oct-12 15:09:38

Oh that's true! smile

dappleton Mon 22-Oct-12 11:28:49

you've probably finished your costume by now, but if not, rather than an exercise sheet I find it easier to use material/bedsheets to cover the horse. Secure it under the saddle then attach a filet string under the tail. It's cheaper and gives you a better choice of background colours. A pair of devil horns attached to the ponies bridle might be a nice touch! good luck....

AllPastYears Mon 22-Oct-12 13:05:57

Ribbons on the mane/tail are very effective and easy to do. Try red if you've got a black horse.

OhYouBadBadKitten Mon 22-Oct-12 13:26:45

ribbons we have smile
dappelton, I did end up using an exercise sheet - I went for black, thinking that I can reuse that for lots of things. I love the idea of the devils horns though - absolutely going to go for that!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now