Talk

Advanced search

Dartmoor Ponies urgently needing homes

(2 Posts)
loachey Mon 15-Oct-12 19:11:59

Sadly it's that time of year again on Dartmoor and all the unwanted ponies go to become meat.

http://dptcrehoming.blogspot.co.uk/2012/10/list-of-ponies-urgently-needing-homes.html

posting just in case some one some where is a position to take one (or two!) I'm not but I wish I was :-(

Tara

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Mon 15-Oct-12 23:42:33

Lovely as it is, to rehome them, and Id have a few if I had the room, I always think that it would be a better course of action to change the situation at source. Stop the indiscriminate breeding, maybe vet mares for breeding approval, and possibly consider some kind of hormonal implant to prevent unwanted pregnancy? It isnt just Dartmoor, the NF is as bad, and Welsh ponies probably worse. Ive got friends in welsh ponies who have seen quite weel known studs in Wales breeding dozens hundreds of ponies, to keep a few, and then get the knacker in to clear out the rest!
Im not of the opinion that buying them cheap encourages breeders, rehomers do a good job, but are a bit like the little dutch boy with his finger in the dyke! I think that these people will breed indiscriminately until someone physically stops them. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now