Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

products for people ok to use on pony

(51 Posts)
booksinbed Thu 04-Oct-12 17:11:17

Hi There - trying to save cash ..Im aware sudocream good.Any other products recommended.eg instead of expensive mane and tail conditioner- etc - baby oil???etc.thankyou x

horseylady Thu 04-Oct-12 17:40:29

I always bath in baby shampoo (asda own!!) and baby oil in tail for showing.

Tbh depends what youre looking for? I use hibbi scrub for cuts etc make my own fly spray etc.

booksinbed Thu 04-Oct-12 20:13:38

how do you amke fly spray please.I was intrested in replacement for coat shine and main and tail conditioner/de tangler too.thanks .

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 04-Oct-12 23:38:15

I use any people shampoo and or conditioner on mine. Also, fairy liquid! Its great for washing my white beasties, especially along the roots of mane or tail, it cuts right through the grease!
My friend was told by the vet to use head and shoulders on mud fever.
Baby oil is ok too. Ive used optrex, when their silly bulgy welsh eyes have been watery! I think if a product is ok to use externally on people, then it wont do too much harm to a horse!
Ive even heard of people using human pregnancy tests to find out if their mares are in foal! I might give that one a try if I can catch my brood mares peeing!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 04-Oct-12 23:40:28

Obviously, anything used to bath a horse will remove grease from their coats, and will make them less waterproof, if you bath at this time of year, or in winter, then youll need to rug them up for a few days, until their coats regain their grease.

SingingTunelessly Fri 05-Oct-12 07:41:57

I've been told by a professional groom to use Mr Sheen or similar for a mane and tail detangler. Unpermfumed unless you want them to smell like a coffee table!

ponytails Fri 05-Oct-12 07:55:47

agree with singing - furniture polish is a brilliant mane and tail detangler

frostyfingers Fri 05-Oct-12 19:21:49

Yup, furniture polish is great for manes and tails - but not if you're going to plait as they fall out!

CMOTDibbler Fri 05-Oct-12 20:08:10

I use Tresemme deep cleaning shampoo on grey dpony, people conditioner on his mane/tail when washing, and then diluted 1:10 in boiled water as a spray for day to day. I also use Frizz Ease on his v long mane/tail and it stops the mud sticking

booksinbed Fri 05-Oct-12 20:16:08

thankyou all - this is good info !!!

Butkin Fri 05-Oct-12 22:13:27

We tend to buy "horse" products but one money saving tip is to buy in bulk. We buy Wahl's Dirty Beastie shampoo and it's great but quite expensive. If you buy the huge bottles of it they are really cheap by comparison. Trouble is if you pour it out of the big bottles there is a temptation to use too much so we decant it into smaller bottles first.

booksinbed Wed 10-Oct-12 08:46:28

hi there - anybody know re products for itchy skin...ive been told re eqisoothe - which soons good..any cheaper stuff...???

seeker Wed 10-Oct-12 08:48:42

Blue washing up liquid is the best possible thing for washing dd's grey mare- we always use it before a show!

Sudocreme's good for all sorts of things.

seeker Wed 10-Oct-12 08:50:46

Ooh- furniture polish! Must try that- spending a fortune on Mane and Tail for new Dales! He's very tangly- not been groomed for a year, poor boy!

Eve Wed 10-Oct-12 08:56:04

cheapest furniture polish available for tails.

Avod skin so soft dry oil spray for fly repellant and tail spray.

Shutupanddrive Wed 10-Oct-12 16:50:51

I second washing up liquid for bathing and washing tails. I have a recipie for homemade fly repellent somewhere, will try and find it for you. Or if you google it, you may find something similar.

prelim29 Thu 11-Oct-12 17:22:38

Avon's skin so soft is a good fly deterrent - mixed with water and put in a spray bottle. Recommended to me by my vet, no less.

fait Thu 11-Oct-12 19:03:21

We have used tesco furniture polish in the past -but now use the Absorbine ones.
Megatek is fabulous for keeping the tails and manes in wonderful condition.
A friend of mine (total impact equestrian) has a new range of detangler/conditioner which has had some excellent results and although it seems pricey, the amounts you use are so tiny that is works out to be quite cost effective.
A tail bag helps keep the tails of natives and traditionals in good nick (particularly if they are grey and mares which always gives the yellow tail look!)

SingingTunelessly Thu 11-Oct-12 21:43:50

I've tried the Avon Skin So Soft and didn't find it made any difference tbh. Although, anyone that comes up with a really effective fly repellent will be quids in. Every spring/summer/autumn hack, I set off smelling revolting but hopeful. Ten mins later ....... swat, swat, smack and swat again.

booksinbed Fri 12-Oct-12 08:52:20

have found loads of fly repellant recipies via horse and hound!!.

DolomitesDonkey Fri 12-Oct-12 09:24:52

If your horse has itchy skin for the love of god stop pouring Tesco's cleaning products on it. sad

You really need to stop right now and learn about animal welfare before you do damage!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Sat 13-Oct-12 17:16:13

You don't put cleaning products onto the skin. You put the furniture polish on mane and tail. It's not quite the same as squirting jug into their eyeballs, you know! hmm

Callisto Mon 15-Oct-12 13:22:40

I wouldn't use washing up liquid on the skin of any horse, but then I wouldn't use the stuff to wash up without a pair of rubber gloves on. It is full of really nasty chemicals plus it is responsible for gender-bending in fish.

I agree cheap furniture polish for tails (never on a mane, too close to eyes). I would use udder cream for mud fever (not human, but not equine either). Salt and water solution is perfect for cleaning wounds and very cheap. Any cheap human shampoo is fine for use on a horse.

DolomitesDonkey Mon 15-Oct-12 13:33:44

The reason why my response was so "harsh" was because OP started off with "oooh I'm rubbing x into my pony" and 10 posts later was "what can I do for itchy skin?". She seems to be having some problems adapting to being an animal owner (indicated from other friends) and I for one wanted to say "fgs, wtf are you doing?" before she starts washing socks in bleach and squirting toilet duck around its sheath!

You saggy I'm sure are more than aware of what you're doing around our equine friends.!

DolomitesDonkey Mon 15-Oct-12 13:34:11

other friends = other posts

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now