Advanced search

Buying padock

(24 Posts)
Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 21-Sep-12 10:30:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 21-Sep-12 10:31:41

CMOTDibbler Fri 21-Sep-12 10:45:04

Half an acre is really too small for a horse/pony, esp as a standalone piece of ground, and I guess theres no piped water to it either.

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 21-Sep-12 10:49:53

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 21-Sep-12 10:57:14

marge2 Fri 21-Sep-12 11:08:41

Well some people rent paddock out for part of the year. It might be good for horses at grass for the summer months if the owners wants a fairly bare paddock for fatties. It WOULD need water though of course. And it would get very full of poo, so you would have to make sure the owners were removing it. Would you mind a muck heap in the corner?

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 21-Sep-12 11:18:00

marge2 Fri 21-Sep-12 11:19:40

...or you could give it away to gardeners...

vv jeallous by the way!

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 21-Sep-12 11:22:01

marge2 Fri 21-Sep-12 11:59:18

Well good luck! Hope it works out.

nomnomdeplume Fri 21-Sep-12 12:01:27

We have about 3/4 of an acre and it is fine for our very hardy native pony who is a very good doer. I'd definitely rent a half acre off you while I rest mine! Ours drains very well though which helps as I know some smaller paddocks can end up being mud baths in the winter.

Mirage Fri 21-Sep-12 12:14:38

Check that there are no restrictive covenants on it though,it could affect what it is used for.

AllPastYears Fri 21-Sep-12 12:21:04

Too small I'd say, plus you should have another horse/pony for company.

And it wet weather the grass would get trashed.

Treblesallround Fri 21-Sep-12 12:36:23

Too small in my view as well, AllPastYears is spot on, you can't keep a ponywithout any equine company and it would be barely big enough for one. Definitely too small for two, but perhaps you could have a couple of miniatures or a couple of donkeys (I'm not v. knowledgable about donks and minis though) if you're just looking for a use for land that you want to stop being developed

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 21-Sep-12 12:44:09

nomnomdeplume Fri 21-Sep-12 12:57:40

Hmm, lots of ponies around here are kept in small paddocks with no bother EXCEPT they are moved around a couple of times a year (eg ours goes to a neighbours for a couple of months to let his paddock rest). Also he doesnt have company which is fine by both of us!

Asmywhimsytakesme Fri 21-Sep-12 12:59:22

marge2 Fri 21-Sep-12 13:13:24

It's most definitely too small for all year round. For even one, as it would turn into a quagmire. But you MIGHT get someone with just one happy on it's own or two who need very restricted grazing for a short period. Summer say. There's still the water issue. I can't imagine anyone would be bothered to lug water tanks around if there is an alternative paddock on offer somewhere else.

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Fri 21-Sep-12 19:25:22

Why not split it into plots and rent them for allotments? Theres obviously a demand in your area.

Butkin Fri 21-Sep-12 20:55:13

We have 7 1/2 acres for 3 to 4 ponies and it's just enough. We have trees for shelter and piped water into the Summer Field. I'd say 1/2 acre is a good start but you'd need to add to it. Don't think anybody would rent it from you unless they were desperate for a few weeks. Is it post and railed?

AllPastYears Sat 22-Sep-12 10:56:45

Should say also, 3 to 4 ponies is better than 2. Some really don't like being left alone in the field even for a couple of hours, making it difficult to take just one out if you have 2.

frostyfingers Sun 23-Sep-12 18:54:43

Sheep? You might be able to rent it for them. Round here we have people who own almost no land but put their sheep on other people's paddocks in return for hedging, topping and general light maintenance.

Mirage Sun 23-Sep-12 21:02:50

Pygmy goats? They don't eat grass and don't need much space.DH would love some pygmy goats.

CMOTDibbler Mon 24-Sep-12 07:38:45

Pygmy goats need more security than Dartmoor prison though. They are feisty little things, and most certainly will need a field shelter. Which would require planning permsission

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now