Talk

Advanced search

How difficult is driving?

(22 Posts)
Treblesallround Tue 18-Sep-12 12:11:52

Both DH and I have horses who have been driven, mine's done a fair bit in the past. Our yard owner drives and is willing to help me get her back into the swing of it, would lend me her cart, and there's a good instructor locally who would teach me.

Now we haven't got GD's ponies (and Pony Club, and competitions and so on) I find I've got loads more time for my horse. GS loves helping with the horses but is scared of riding and I'm thinking that he might like to come out on drives with me (he's really keen on the idea).

I've also just accidentally looked at a gypsy caravan on Preloved and am having a romantic fantasy about me and DH going off for the summer in one. (I know, won't actually happen, just a nice idea)

So do any of you drive? Is it difficult to learn? Is it scarey? Anything else to consider, and any health/welfare issues for the horse? (and do I need different insurance?)

frostyfingers Tue 18-Sep-12 13:37:33

We used to put our pony to a trap when I was a child, and loved it. I would have a look here www.britishdrivingsociety.co.uk/ to see what's involved.

I would hesitate trying to do it on my own, mostly because of traffic issues, but if you go with a club I should think it's a whole lot less stressful.

Mirage Tue 18-Sep-12 16:04:42

Do it! You could drive over and see me.smile I remember a girl who used to come to school in a pony and trap and I was wildly jealous.

Alameda Thu 20-Sep-12 09:50:07

oh I often think about doing this with the pony, especially as he was not the biggest fan of being ridden for a while there, although skijoring comes higher up my WANT TO TRY list than driving

alwaysGOLD Thu 20-Sep-12 11:11:06

Go for it sounds a lovely idea,
Whilst i dont know fully what it envolves, ive had a little go.

When i tried my horse she was a ride and drive, her owner asked if i wanted to see her driven, halfway round he handed me the reins and said there you go. It was brillant, thrilling i enjoyed it so much.

Treblesallround Thu 20-Sep-12 11:27:27

I've arranged some lessons, and yard owner and I are going to see how much my horse remembers. This is going to be really good fun! A whole new horsey thing! Just what I need. What's skijoring Alameda? I bet it's a bit dangerous exciting!

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Thu 20-Sep-12 13:00:39

Knowing Alameda, it probably involves hurtling about at 90 miles an hour in one form or another! grin <<mad beggar>> grin

Treblesallround Thu 20-Sep-12 14:06:02

And probably sideways grin

Alameda Thu 20-Sep-12 14:13:35

haha! it does! How did you guess?

is like water skiing but on snow, with a horse instead of a boat and with/without a rider

I suppose you'd start in similar way as breaking to harness with things, tyres etc then progress to yourself?

Alameda Thu 20-Sep-12 14:19:18

loooook (please work link) skijoring

Treblesallround Thu 20-Sep-12 14:23:21

Yep, mad beggar.

frostyfingers Thu 20-Sep-12 14:28:59

Ye Gods woman, you are mad! I suppose all that can be said is that presumably the landing is softer (although colder) than most!

Alameda Thu 20-Sep-12 14:47:23

it looks fun doesn't it? Sorry that clip was So Long, didn't realise it went on and on and on but you get the idea - so that will be me but I fancy doing it on one leg at a time. Might need skiing lessons . . .

Alameda Thu 20-Sep-12 14:55:37

I think driving would be fun too though, you could do races not like the Irish gypsies (watched a heart stopping vid on YouTube just now shock)

Treblesallround Thu 20-Sep-12 15:25:21

I'm thinking more of a sedate potter around the villages, Alameda. I'm not mad brave

Alameda Thu 20-Sep-12 16:09:31

yes yes that would be nice too, it probably feels quite fast enough anyway?

have been away for a few days so will have a sedate potter myself this evening

Butkin Thu 20-Sep-12 16:59:10

If you go racing at St Moritz (on the frozen lake) they have skijoring races. Mark Johnston had a runner in one last year. The horses all start in the gates, as usual, and the skiers being towed behind with two lunge lines, have to go through the gates behind them - that seems the most difficult part!

I like riding and skiing but not sure I'd want to combine the two!

Alameda Thu 20-Sep-12 21:18:47

it seems like the most brilliant idea ever

although I was completely happy simply galloping full pelt up our hill tonight - except it got dark very suddenly and far too soon WHY

Treblesallround Fri 21-Sep-12 12:44:56

Thought you were going to be sedate Alameda grin

Alameda Fri 21-Sep-12 13:36:08

well it was that or dance sideways all the way, snorting, because he likes to race against the traffic! and I miss him so much when I'm away we had both earned it really

I do make him walk and trot too a bit more

when are you doing carriage driving?

monsterchild Sat 22-Sep-12 22:03:02

also want to try driving, my horse has no experience, but he loves to push!

And Alameda, we used to do that but with inner tubes! I didn't know it had a name...

tazzle22 Sun 23-Sep-12 19:45:07

Driving is fun once you get the hang of it but usually doies indeed involve being a lot more on the road. Depending on your horse and your nerve and the roads around you this may or may not become an issue for you. I have driven in the city and on main roads ( dual carriageway) but find that the country lanes can actually be more "dangerous" as some driver do go fast and dont expect to see horses ..... their view is often limited by high hedges as well so you really need to take that into account.

Another issue is whther you need to have someone else with you (groom)...... some people say it is dangerous without, some people do drive on their own. I have driven in the vehicle on my own but usually have an accompanying rider with me. I would say that a nivice always should have a groom.... as you get more experienced its up to you lol.

Scarey ???? well different things scare different people lol

difficult ......... well you do have to learn a differnt way of holding the reins and a whip ... and not having weight / legs to communicate with pone. Judging when to ask for turns can be a bit difficult for some but not hard really...... bit like the difference between driving a small car and driving a minibus /trailer.

You may well nned to look at your insurance as some driving is on a different class than riding...... same as differnce from riding / pony club and eventing ........ depends on the company.

us as three counties trec
i17.photobucket.com/albums/b89/tazzle22/driving/slalom.jpg

have fun

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now