Talk

Advanced search

Acorn poisoning

(33 Posts)
MitchiestInge Thu 06-Oct-11 13:47:57

a horse at our new place is very very sick, prognosis not great sad

is anyone else seeing unusual volumes of acorns? my horse is obsessed with them, have actually brought him in until I can see about fencing off areas around oak trees - the not so great thing about field the size of a small county - although everyone is working hard to rake up as many as possible, vet said could take as few as ten shock

MitchiestInge Thu 06-Oct-11 13:51:59

oh apparently there is something in h&h about exceptional amounts of acorns this year

thought wasn't imagining it

Mirage Thu 06-Oct-11 18:42:13

I've noticed it too.Luckily our fields have had horses on for the past 70 odd years so there are no oak trees,but dpony will eat anything out on hacks so I have to walk alongside her and use grass reins too.There is nothing she won't eat,bar bananas.

I read somewhere that horses get addicted to them,sad for the pony at your yard.

Haggyoldclothbatspus Thu 06-Oct-11 23:17:29

Jeesus! 10?? The 2 highlands I poo pick for spend all day rooting them out and stuffing their faces! there are lots about this year, and Id imagine that todays wind will have them all on the floor!
DDs new forest was off colour a couple of weeks ago, and we put it down to acorns. She was laying down when we got to her to muck her out, and DD went in and sat with her. She would never normally let you near her when she was down! She was off her food and kept laying flat out and going to sleep. It was most odd!

AlpinePony Fri 07-Oct-11 08:54:28

We've lost a few horses over the years to acorns, there was a very big acorn boom autumn 87 (?) - lost 4 in one week. sad

I am paranoid about acorns now.

MitchiestInge Fri 07-Oct-11 10:58:50

It would have to be ten very very green ones wouldn't it? Turned horse back out last night because he was going a bit mental in his new stable, probably more dangerous in there than out with the acorns - and they have grazed horses and cattle there for well over 200 years and nobody can remember a case of this ever being recorded before. The horse in question, different field, is sadly quite a delicate thing. She probably won't come right again but already had various pre-existing conditions.

Just heard that mine are bombing and bucking round the field this morning (cold and windy) so not much wrong with them, friskiness definitely not a symptom. Horse jumped 3'6" last night so might be celebrating?

Also heard they had turned pigs out early to clear the acorns in various places, that might be an option. Running out of stakes and tape!

Mirage Fri 07-Oct-11 13:29:46

Pigs?!!!? If you put pigs anywhere near dpony,she'd be bucking about the field like yours,Mitchie.grin Pigs and drains are her mortal enemies.

Well done on the 3ft 6!

Butkin Sat 08-Oct-11 23:23:23

We could see massive amounts on our two oak trees in their summer paddock. We've electric taped them so they can't get to them but are fretting about them breaking through to them because there are thousands of them - a complete carpet of brown ones now. We did try raking and throwing them but just too many to do that now - would be never ending.

Lylah Sat 08-Oct-11 23:34:43

As few as ten is a bit shocking!

I spent 2-3 hours last year raking up a huge mound of the pesky things and had the blisters to show for it! Seemed to work though.

Would I be right in thinking that it's not such a big deal once they go brown....?

hmm

Mirage Sun 09-Oct-11 09:34:35

If there are too many to remove,would spraying them with watered down manure make them unpalatable to horses? Or is that a stupid idea?

Haggyoldclothbatspus Mon 10-Oct-11 00:05:54

Mitchy, are you talking about the New Forest pannage?
Every year, hundreds of pigs are let loose into the NF to eat the acorns, so that they dont poison the ponies.

BrutallySodomisedByAGoat Mon 10-Oct-11 18:28:11

Yeah, new firriest, that's it. Good idea isn't it? Mine wouldn't be impressed, although they are happy with the sheep and the cow after initial extreme terror.

BrutallySodomisedByAGoat Mon 10-Oct-11 18:30:28

FOREST obviously
WHY?
is firriest even a word?

Haggyoldclothbatspus Mon 10-Oct-11 20:46:04

<<mole like squint>> Is that you Mitchy? I love the new name!!

BrutallySodomisedByAGoat Mon 10-Oct-11 21:11:05

Yes! But does my bum look sore big in this new guise? Talking of which, white breeches for SJ - WHY? <sob>

Haggyoldclothbatspus Mon 10-Oct-11 22:07:50

No love, it looks delightfully skinny! grin
White breeches EVER??? WHY???
Last pair of johds I owned were purple tartan. They were bad enough! I was one giant purple tartan arse! confused

BrutallySodomisedByAGoat Mon 10-Oct-11 23:46:05

Purple tartan sounds nice actually, have been a bit envy of sharer B's purple jodhpurs. Think will campaign for change in rider attire for certain events, people with lumpy squishy bottoms should be allowed to wear jeans?

Lucyinthepie Tue 11-Oct-11 08:50:54

So, going back to the topic of horses dying as a result of eating acorns. Does anyone know if the dead brown ones are as toxic as the green ones?

BrutallySodomisedByAGoat Tue 11-Oct-11 09:49:35

I'm sure they have to be green, it's the same as the leaves isn't it - tannin? Tannic acid? Something?

Butkin Tue 11-Oct-11 12:30:35

Went out on Sunday morning and raked up 3 large wheel barrow loads of them from the taped off parts of our fields because, having read this thread, I was nervous of them breaking through. Still got loads to fall though.

Haggyoldclothbatspus Tue 11-Oct-11 23:09:31

I only ever ride in jeans! They hide a multitude of sins! Ours are stuffing acorns like addicts at the moment. Nobody has died so far! confused

Lucyinthepie Thu 13-Oct-11 09:00:00

I think it might be worth people reading this:
ihdg.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=gh11&action=display&thread=118105

BrutallySodomisedByAGoat Thu 13-Oct-11 11:12:58

sad that's absolutely heart breaking

the mare from my first post is home, but they are not sure how badly liver is damaged - she does have some other problems too, sometimes it is better for it to be quick isn't it? unless am being unduly pessimistic

none of the horses in our field are getting to any green acorns or many brown so far, can't go on much longer can it?

TenderlyLovinglyByAGoat Thu 13-Oct-11 12:07:46

(just trying different name, feels a bit less alarming)

TenderlyLovinglyByAGoat Thu 13-Oct-11 12:08:23

(not that have been told off hmm)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now