Talk

Advanced search

Moving yards tomorrow and dreading it........

(5 Posts)
rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 27-Sep-11 09:02:33

going to miss all my friends, and am dreading the actual move. Horse walks up the ramp ok but doesn't like the partition being shut and since he is a big beast, I'm going to get pulled all over. Also having nightmares about him kicking the sides out of the box if he panics, or pulling the tie ring off and trying to climb over the partition to get out. All totally melodramatic and ridiculous but I can't help it lol.
I'm sure everyone at new yard will be lovely, but I want to stay where I am! I can't though because of turnout and arena situation, just have to keep telling myself its for the best.

MitchiestInge Tue 27-Sep-11 09:12:31

hopefully you will LOVE the new place, especially if the facilities better suit your needs?

I know exactly what you mean about travelling melodrama, I don't do it enough to not be insane with anxiety about all the terrible things that might happen but (think his is the main thing) usually never do - is it far? He will probably just munch his hay net happily until you arrive.

Are you ready?

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Tue 27-Sep-11 17:18:39

Mitchy's biggest problem, was transporting her horse's wardrobe! wink

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 27-Sep-11 20:27:33

It's about 6miles, all main road so the journey won't be too bad. We had a practice load this evening, he's only ever been on a trailer before, not a box, again he went on fine, gave him plenty of time to shuffle his bum over, clipped him onto tie ring, and slowly closed the partition. He panicked a bit as he moved over as the sheer weight of him was making the box rock! It's a 7.5 tonne but he's 17.1 mw hunter in full show condition, so hes a big lad. I just hope he doesn't start messing around tomorrow as it felt like we were on a trampoline tonight, and he only moved his bum around a bit.
Good thing is that once he's there he can go straight in his own field and make friends.
One thing I did want to ask was that we have been loading in his head collar, but was wondering if a bridle on top of head collar might be better as hes pulling us around a lot when he comes off. Understandably he just wants to get off the box as fast as possible, but I need him to wait until I'm ready, not when he feels like it! To be fair he did stop at the top of the ramp and wait, but my arms felt like spaghetti by the time we were done.

rogersmellyonthetelly Tue 27-Sep-11 20:33:22

Ooo just had a thought, the box is currently herringbone with horses facing slightly backwards, I wonder if I swap my partitions so they are facing the other way, slightly forwards, he won't have to shuffle his bum around until the end when he's coming off anyway? Will it be a lot worse for him travelling slightly forwards than slightly backwards?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: