Talk

Advanced search

How much would you pay for a lesson on own pony

(17 Posts)
cedmonds Sat 17-Sep-11 12:27:30

Hi
My ds is five year old and had a hours lesson on his on pony at home. It cost £30. A freind said she would never pay that amount for a childs lesson. How much would you be happy to pay?

Ebb Sat 17-Sep-11 14:24:03

Two local riding centres near me ( South West ) charge £40 an hour for a childs private lesson so I don't think £30 for someone to come to you is that extortionate as an instructor will have to take in to account petrol and travel time. I guess it would also depend on the instructors qualifications and experience. I wouldn't pay £30 for a newly qualified AI if I could pay the same for an experienced eventer. A good instructor is worth every penny in my book. smile

Pixel Sat 17-Sep-11 16:09:31

I'm at the instructor's yard atm so paying £10 for half an hour, but when we go back to our own place it will be £15 to cover her travel, so I suppose that works out the same. I would think that a whole hour is quite a lot for a five year old so if the instructor hasn't got too far to come maybe you could save a bit by keeping it short and sweet.

cedmonds Sat 17-Sep-11 18:19:30

Hi Thanks for your opinions. The instructor has evented up the intermediate. Has had a AI for a while as well. The pony has the first 10 mins just walking and loosening off whilst he goes though points of horse etc.

Butkin Sun 18-Sep-11 17:43:01

Really depends on the person, how far they have travelled etc.

We used to take our pony for 1to1 lessons at that age and got about half an hour for 10 pounds.

Now DD is 8 she normally has lessons with a show producer but as pony is at their livery they are free with livery or 10 pounds if extra lesson.

However if she goes to an "i" for jumping lessons they are 55 pounds!

Unfortunately never had lessons at home as we don't have a menage.

Callisto Mon 19-Sep-11 12:59:24

I'm about to get some lessons for DD on her own pony for £20 for an hour. This will be at the yard where pony is kept.

cedmonds Mon 19-Sep-11 14:20:23

Hi
Traveling is about 30 mins in good traffic. She seemed really good with ds and has improved his confidence(just of the lead rein). I think i might stick with it, as i can not find anyone else for less money.

galonthefarm Tue 20-Sep-11 21:19:36

I have a good instructor come to me (well a friend's menage) who costs £25 an hour. Doesn't sound ridiculous to me - I guess it depends where you are geographically as well!

prelim29 Fri 23-Sep-11 13:52:07

Sounds a bit steep but depends what part of the country you are in. I pay £15 for 40 mins for a 1:1 lesson -we travel to the intructor's yard. D is 14 and on her own pony.

If your D is a pony club member you will probably find lessons cheaper through your local branch.

cedmonds Fri 23-Sep-11 17:27:04

Hi the lesson is though the local branch of the pc. We are in surrey .

Booboostoo Sat 24-Sep-11 21:26:13

I used to pay 35 pounds for the first lesson and 25 pounds for the second as she didn't have to cover travelling costs. In France I now pay 40 euros.

Mousesmummy Mon 26-Sep-11 20:52:14

We are in Cheshire and pay £25 a lesson one to one at our stables. The lesson can take 45 mins up to 90 mins - depending on what they want to get done. DD is 9.

LisaD1 Mon 26-Sep-11 21:09:52

I pay £25 per hour or £15 per half hour for a lesson on my own horse, instructor comes to me.

We're in Surrey too.

lizzie83 Wed 28-Sep-11 18:45:09

I pay £12 for my son's half hour lesson. We are in North Yorkshire. I think what your paying sounds a lot.

cazboldy Wed 28-Sep-11 21:21:50

I pay £5 to hire the school, and £25 for an hours lesson at a yard close(ish) to me. The instructor has competed at national level.

cedmonds Wed 28-Sep-11 21:30:19

hmm I cant find anyone else to teach at the moment. But it is soon goingto be to dark to ride after school anywaysad

suebfg Wed 28-Sep-11 21:36:46

It depend upon the quality of the instructor. I used to travel to a British Dressage instructor and paid £25 an hour. Prior to this I had lessons from an advanced Dutch instructor who used to travel over to the UK and paid £35 per hour.

But personally I think the price you are being charged is steep for a 5 year old's lesson.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now