Talk

Advanced search

Do you find you often treat your DC like you treat your horses?

(20 Posts)
mankyminks Wed 24-Aug-11 20:00:42

Lighthearted... am aware my DC are not horses but I do find that the way I handle my horses often works for my DC.... Unconditional love and care but fairly strict rules seems to work for both. It also happens subconsiously (sp?) as in my DH pointed out to me years ago that if I wanted to put socks/shoes on the children I would gently tap them on the ankle and make a clicky sound and they would lift their feet up blush . My 14 yo is a sensible girl on the whole so during the summer holidays I have given her quite a free reign (pun intended). As long as she tells me where and with who she's with and is home at agreed time I don't interfere at all. She has a pretty heavy year coming up education wise so is aware that this is temporary but I have basically turned her away for the summer to mature as you would with a newly 'broken' horse. Our relationship is very much based on trust unless proven wrong as I am with my horses. Are any of you 'parenting' like this or am I either short changing my DC or my horses?

Justfeckinggoogleit Wed 24-Aug-11 20:06:42

Ha! I could have written that! I actually click mine and tell them to trot on too!
The other week a friend of mine was wearing shoes with pictures on the soles so I bent down and lifted her leg to look at them! blush.

mankyminks Wed 24-Aug-11 20:43:57

O yeah "trot on" is a staple here too smile !!

mankyminks Wed 24-Aug-11 21:00:42

Just remembering the hmm looks I got when DS left his lunchbox in the playground and I shouted "DS : nosebag!!!" blush

dappleton Thu 25-Aug-11 09:50:51

When I had my son a few months ago everyone, me included failed to see how I would cope, being as I know nothing about babies! Thank god I know a lot about horses because its all pretty much the same...lots of food, lots of poop and lots of love!...and a sixth sense in knowing whats wrong.

Justfeckinggoogleit Thu 25-Aug-11 10:30:16

Lots of love, a firm hand and no nonsense!

Oh, and no barging into my personal space! Horses back up, the kids back off! grin

I also say steady a great deal. To both species!

mankyminks Thu 25-Aug-11 11:57:54

dappelton You're so right. I had never held or been anywhere near a newborn until I had my DD (too busy playing ponies grin ). But I think the fact that you have to consider another living being on a daily basis,to the point it even affects career choices, when you have a horse does in a way prepare you for the demands of a baby.

justfeckinggoogleit totally agree with lots of love,firm hand and no nonsense. Children need to know where the boundaries are,I think it makes them feel safe to know whats expected of them and what they can expect from us. It's perfectly fine to test these boundaries every now and then. You never know the electric fencing might not be on today and the grass does look an awful lot greener over there....... Ouch it was on,not a good idea after all was it. Before you know it Mum will move the fence posts as she will know you're needs and you will have a bit of that lush grass. She would like to give you the whole field but she also knows it could give you a nasty tummy ache or something horrid like laminitis....

Also,you need to keep something to look forward too and one day you might appreciate why your parents/owners said NO sometimes.

olderyetwider Thu 25-Aug-11 16:03:15

Totally agree with everyone (and also say 'steady' a lot) Should we write a child rearing book along these lines, make a fortune and retire so we can all play with our horses uninterrupted by work?

Justfeckinggoogleit Thu 25-Aug-11 22:16:53

Great plan!

The Horse Owners Guide to child rearing!

I also have a hair must be brushed every day policy for both species. And everyone must stand still and cooperate when having nails trimmed.
Everyone has exercise every day and treats occasionally.
A smack is only ever a last resort and I will ask you only twice to do something before I get very firm indeed.
Not doing something I ask is not an option.

What else have I forgotten? grin

mankyminks Thu 25-Aug-11 23:15:21

Trust is such an important part for both species too. I know you're worried/scared but I want you to allow yourself to trust me. I would not ask you to go past that scary lorry/jump in the deep end of the pool if I didn't think you could do it or you would get hurt. Go for it and you'll feel great about yourself afterwards...... I'm with you all the way. smile Keep them coming,nearly at chapter 2 .

I genuinely don't mind clearing up your poo,because I love you grin

Moodykat Thu 25-Aug-11 23:27:09

I would definitely buy the book! For dealing with colic - if walking helps a horse then it makes sense that moving baby's legs in a walking type movement will work. Sorry it's not very catchy but baby has colic/wind and I am tired! Oh, and if I can't catch you I will not chase you round with food, I will shout obscenities and walk away. You will follow eventually!

mankyminks Fri 26-Aug-11 08:03:28

Both species grow and/or wear out their shoes at an alarming rate! shock

Justfeckinggoogleit Fri 26-Aug-11 08:26:08

Everyone will have stable/table manners. Both are hugely important.
Everyone is pushed to reach their potential and then loads of praise. You can jump that fence ( both pony and rider), I wouldn't ask you otherwise.
I'll give you all a long rein but if you blow it, that'll stop.

You all have food, water, clean beds and warm clothes. In turn, I expect co operation and daily jobs.

kayb123 Fri 26-Aug-11 08:49:56

my husband has said in the past - 'they are not horses' blush, thankfully in a joking way, after once again clicking at them to walk that little bit faster.

I never notice but i do tap my youngest feet when i want her to left for shoes being put on, personal space, saying whoa when they start to move mid brushing their hair... god so many.. god what a awful mum i am shock grin

CaveMum Tue 30-Aug-11 19:54:41

No kids here at the moment, but "woah, steady" gets used on friends a lot grin

Mirage Tue 30-Aug-11 21:18:44

I have found myself clicking and telling them to 'walk on' already and it has only been 6 weeks.I also call dd2 by the pony's name and vice versa-but in my defence they do sound very similar.blush

The dds love running around the menage and jumping jumps on their own whilst the pony looks on in total astonishment.You can see her thinking 'why do they make me do it when they are perfectly capable of doing it themselves?' It's no wonder I get them confused

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch Wed 31-Aug-11 11:34:16

Yes to all of the above!

My grandma always said you can't go far wrong if you treat your children like your horses grin

Poledra Wed 31-Aug-11 14:44:19

My riding instructor (male) always says he believes children, horses and men respond well to the same treatment - be firm, be kind, and, if you want them to do something tricky, make them think it was their own idea in the first place grin

mankyminks Wed 31-Aug-11 15:11:26

Poledra,that last piece of advice is sooooo true grin

leafbird Thu 01-Sep-11 21:49:53

ha i do the same,walk on, get on,whoa steady, and sometimes even click at them! haven't tapped there feet yet but it made me laugh. I agree firm but fair hand works for most things i find.(with the occasional treat for good work)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now