Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Am going to put friends horse to sleep in the morning

(7 Posts)
elastamum Wed 17-Aug-11 22:38:19

Have agreed to help the vet put my friends pony to sleep in the morning. Pony is over 30 and going downhill, we dont think she can take another winter.

We all know it is the right thing to do, but i do feel sad, especially for my friend who rescued the pony years ago and cant bare to be there.

sad

limepickle Wed 17-Aug-11 23:03:03

Oh that is really sad sad
Well done for stepping up to help with the vet, I can imagine what your friend must be going through.
My thoughts will be with you tomorrow sad

Callisto Thu 18-Aug-11 12:54:48

It is so horrible to lose a horse. Well done for doing this for your friend.

Mirage Thu 18-Aug-11 13:43:53

What a good friend you are - I hope that she goes easily and peacefully.Am welling up just thinking about it.sad

glasscompletelybroken Thu 18-Aug-11 17:37:46

I hope it all went OK today. I held both my horse and a friends horse when they were shot. It's the hardest thing I have ever done but I know it was the right thing because it meant they had someone they knew and trusted with them and weren't afraid.

elastamum Thu 18-Aug-11 20:32:30

Thanks all, She went very peacefully, I fed her in the morning, then the vet came and we took her into a little paddock and gave her an injection. There was no one else around, just the chap who picks them up who was already there to take her away.

She was very wobbly, we think she may have had a small stroke recently. Vet said it was the right thing to do. All the girls in the yard have been crying, she was much loved. sad

Disasterpiece Fri 19-Aug-11 17:04:49

So sorry youve had to do this today but it really was the best thing for the poor old girl. Winter would have been cruel on her.

Im sure she was happy that she went peacefully in her paddock with you by her side.

I always get called to hold peoples horses, in a weird way I actually dont mind, I like that they have someone to stroke them and give them a kiss. The last one I held was actually my mums, I sat in the field with his for an hour afterwards stroking his eyes and keeping the flies off him. The guy who picks them up got stuck in traffic.

Thats the hardest bit I think, when they come to take them away, I can never stay for that part.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now