Talk

Advanced search

Is this how horses are meant to be grazed?

(3 Posts)
Fluffycloudland77 Sat 13-Aug-11 19:33:05

Theres two horses being grazed near us by some houses, the grass looks pretty rough.

I cant see any stables near by.

The horses are tethered to buckets which I think holds water.

There is no shade or shelter for them.

Is this how your meant to keep them? I havent ridden in nearly 20 years so I can't remember. But I have never known anyone else tether a horse with no shade.

In the field opposite the horses have a trough of water and roam in the enclosure.

Do I need to contact the RSPCA?? Or is this all normal practice.

ManateeEquineOhara Sun 14-Aug-11 10:54:49

Sounds normal practice for tethered horses. It is not ideal, but nor does it warrant a call to the RSPCA unless the horses are in poor condition. The lack of shade would be my main concern, but it is hard to safely provide shade without also risking the tether getting caught on something. Not sure bout the tether being tied to a bucket. There should be a stake in the ground, with a heavy chain, attached to a lighter rope.

My mare was tethered before I got her. She is totally socially abnormal in the field and I think the lack of horsey interaction tethered horses get is to blame for that. She was also very neglected because her owners were fuckwits, however tethering alone does not necessarily mean these horses are neglected.

Callisto Sun 14-Aug-11 11:42:09

I agree, it really depends on the condition of the horses. If they are looking in poor condition I wouldn't bother with the RSPCA. They are useless. Get in touch with the Blue Cross or whoever you're local horse charity is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now