Talk

Advanced search

Very Sad day today

(17 Posts)
LisaD1 Sat 06-Aug-11 21:24:56

Evening all, not sure why I'm posting, just feel the need to share.

We had to make the heartbreaking decision to put DD's pony to sleep today. She was the most amazing girl, a true mother's dream who looked after both my girls and was an angel to have around.

she has had a couple of bouts of laminitus, last year we got through the whole year without one but last Friday she wasn't right, I got her in and got the vet who agreed she was having a laminitus attack, we also sadly discovered cushings and all too late. We've had her on bute etc all week, had the vet every couple of days and still she was in agony.

I arrived this morning and she was lying down, she stayed there for a good hour and took forever to get up, she was clearly in pain.

Called the vet again and sadly his prognosis was not good so we let her go.

DD is in bits, as am I, and the horse world has lost a perfect pony.

RIP Holly x

mellowcat Sat 06-Aug-11 21:26:26

Very sorry for you and your family

Marne Sat 06-Aug-11 21:29:33

How sad for you and your dd's, so sorry for your loss.

piebald Sat 06-Aug-11 21:33:31

Oh you must feel terrible, but it sounds like you have made the best and sensible decision for Hollys sake xx

Disasterpiece Sat 06-Aug-11 22:18:40

Oh Im so sorry. sad It really is like losing a member of your family isnt it. Its heartbreaking.

Give your girls extra cuddles, given time they will come to terms with it. How old are they?

FWIW you really did do the best thing.

OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 06-Aug-11 22:21:32

sad i am very sorry.

LisaD1 Sat 06-Aug-11 22:42:54

Thank you everyone.

Disasterpiece - DD1 is 11 and already having a pretty tough time as just started periods, she is in bits, just woke up crying, have given her a dose of calpol to try and take the edge off a bit.

DD2 is only 3.5, doesn't get it really but is sad that she has no pony to ride (of course, doesn't understand fully), think she will find it hard when we next go down as although she was DD1's pony DD2 actually spent a lot of time with her too.

Even non-horsey DH has shed a few tears this evening :-(

Loshad Sat 06-Aug-11 22:58:46

unmumsnet hugs Lisa, how very very sad indeed. You did do the right thing tho' and should take some comfort from that.

Butkin Sun 07-Aug-11 06:51:29

That is very sad. However you have to remember you did the right thing by your pony.

busybee1983 Sun 07-Aug-11 07:55:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kayb123 Sun 07-Aug-11 09:56:02

i cant even think what your family must be going through. I am just so sorry to hear about whats happened.

molliemol Sun 07-Aug-11 11:32:03

So sorry to hear your news. We had the same thing three months ago. It is a terribly difficult thing to go through, but you made the right decision. I had my old man for 25 years- they leave quite a gap, but it does get easier with time.

Mirage Sun 07-Aug-11 14:19:25

I'm sorry to hear this,but you did the best thing a loving owner could do in the circumstances.sad for you all.

frostyfingers Sun 07-Aug-11 17:55:32

I'm so sorry - it's awful to lose a best friend, even when you know you're doing the right thing. Perhaps you could put together a collage of photos when you're feeling up to it - I lost my dhorse in May, and still look at my pictures of him (and I'm a lot older than 11) - and it does help to remember the good times.

olderyetwider Mon 08-Aug-11 10:42:49

How heartbreaking for you all, you are a lovely pony owner who has done everything possible, including having the courage to let her go when you needed to.

busybee1983 Mon 08-Aug-11 14:06:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

dappleton Tue 09-Aug-11 10:24:59

So sorry to hear your sad news, I lost my childhood pony last year (and i'm in my 30's now!) I cried for days (and am in tears again just writing this) so my biggest sympathies go out to you and your daughters. As other posters have said - remember the good times and know you did the right thing by Holly right to the end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now