Talk

Advanced search

Talk to me about colts and gelding...

(4 Posts)
Saggyoldclothcatpuss Wed 03-Aug-11 22:44:00

Alfie is now 2 months old. He's out with his mum and three other mares. One of them is his size, and is currently in season. The little dear has taken to mounting her, and seems to know exactly what he is doing! He's got a full on stiffy, and is putting it right where it needs to go!
Please reassure me that this won't end in tears!
At what age can I have the little bugger gelded? the sooner the better in my book!

Pixel Wed 03-Aug-11 22:50:55

Oh dear, naughty boy! I've no experience I'm afraid but I'm sure I've heard somewhere that vets prefer not to do the op in the summer months when there is a risk of flies causing an infection (but please someone correct me if I've got that wrong!).

Disasterpiece Thu 04-Aug-11 00:02:00

Yes vets do prefer to do them in Spring/Autumn/Winter so there are less flies.

I think they are usually cut around 6 months so they are done before they become fertile which can be under 12 months! So that would take you to December which would be perfect fly wise.

If you are not going to use him for breeding or showing then I would get him cut as soon as your vet will do it because hes already showing stallion like behaviour. You dont want to encourage this in any way.

I also think you need to separate him from other mares now before he inures them or himself.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Thu 04-Aug-11 00:15:10

Thankfully, all the mares are about his size, so I dont think there will be much chance of injury at the moment, all I have to seperate them with is electric fence, and I really dont want to use it if I can get away with it, as I dont live onsite, and I am terrified that he will become caught in it! They generally just shrug him off and flatten their ears at him. TBH I introduced him to the herd because I wanted their help to teach him some manners!
Im glad that he isnt fertile yet, thats one weight off my mind! I want him cut ASAP! Im quite confident that I dont need a stallion on my hands at the moment!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now