Talk

Advanced search

2nd hand pony saddle - best place to look?

(9 Posts)
Millie1 Tue 02-Aug-11 16:24:16

Looking for recommendations please for pony saddle. Have been thinking about trying to pick one up second hand but have no idea where to start looking? Getting a pony on trial today and provided she's nice and quiet, will need to sort some tack out!

Thanks

Butkin Tue 02-Aug-11 17:13:42

Really depends on what you want to do with the pony, what type/size it is, how much you want to spend and if you want leather or synthetic.

We are fans of Fylde saddles because if you buy one 2nd hand (on Ebay for example) they will then fit them to your pony whereas with most saddles you'd need to know beforehand if they fit exactly.

Loshad Tue 02-Aug-11 17:24:58

local saddlers - nearly all the decent ones round here sell s/hand saddles, and will come to you with them, or you can take horse to them. failing that use a metal coathangers to take the shape of the ponies withers and then ask if you can take 2/3 that fit that shape on appro to try at home, and get someone else to check fitting (unless you a re v experienced yourself) and watch it being ridden in.

CMOTdibbler Tue 02-Aug-11 18:00:41

I'd get a synthetic to start with from ebay. Then get a mobile saddler to come and check/adjust it. Dpony has a Wintec that cost me £170 including fitting and a new gullet

Disasterpiece Tue 02-Aug-11 18:44:57

You cant really just go and buy a saddle.

First you need to decide what type of saddle you will need, then what material you want (leather, synthetic, suede, part leather part suede).

I do actually think 2nd hand ones are better because the leather is usually softer and the seat becomes comfier. Also, best bit they are cheaper!

You can either get some saddles from a fitter or you can get your own and have a saddler check it fits properly.

You need to look up and find the best fitter in your area and take it from there.

I think a saddle is the most important thing to make sure it fits the best it possibly can. It is not worth the risk of not having a saddle fitted by a professional.

I also think Flyde do beautiful saddles, especially if you are going to do any showing. Peter has a brilliant reputation for fitting and customer service.

Pixel Tue 02-Aug-11 19:56:41

Saddlers usually have saddles they've taken in part-exchange for new ones and they will come out to you with a van load to try. Or as someone else said, if you want to buy from ebay or similar then buy something adjustable (there are leather adjustable ones too now) and get it altered by a professional.

Millie1 Tue 02-Aug-11 22:05:23

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It's a looooooong time since I've had a new saddle - even then I was a child and my Dad sorted it out! We have the loan of a saddle for a few days and once we see what the pony is like for the kids [she's just gorgeous grin] then I'll start off with our local-ish saddler. Definitely want one which is fitted properly!

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Wed 03-Aug-11 00:11:50

Dpony has a new saddle, my friend bought it at an equestrian yard sale for £7. The leather is split along the cantle, and one seat seam. It will cost me £150 to have the seat replaced. So thats £157 for a perfectly fitting Kiln saddle. Im quite chuffed! They are hundreds new! Dfriend bought a Stubben Siegfried jumping saddle for £45 at our local equestrian boot sale. It fits her young warmblood nicely. £1000+ new. Keep your eyes open for something that vaguely fits, then get it altered to fit.

Millie1 Wed 03-Aug-11 09:07:03

Wow! Great bargains Saggy ... will do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now