Talk

Advanced search

White Mark

(8 Posts)
molliemol Fri 29-Jul-11 20:23:35

Can a horse develop a white patch later in life? It does not appear on his passport, although everything else matches perfectly. He isn't my gelding, he belongs to a neighbour, but he has been with us for a few days, so I was just curious really. He is a registered section D, and is really beautiful, but I was a bit surprised that such a distinctive mark would not have been on his passport. It doesn't look like a scar, at it is of an uneven round shape. Any ideas?

Disasterpiece Fri 29-Jul-11 21:49:34

Where is it?

molliemol Sat 30-Jul-11 00:50:52

Sorry- should have said! On his belly, a few inches behind where his girth would be.

AlpinePony Sat 30-Jul-11 08:38:17

What colour is he? I've got a chestnut who's getting 'roan' patches as she ages. Some seasons they grow in stronger than others. She also has a funny white patch in front of her saddle flap (so def not a sore) which I don't think is on her passport, just her socks and stripe/snip.

molliemol Sat 30-Jul-11 09:51:51

He's a chestnut, but it isn't like roan patches- it is a definite white patch, like a skewbald pony, except it is one bit only, about four inches across. It isn't obvious immediately- you would have to have a proper look at him to see it, which surely the vet would have done when filling in his passport? Can his passport be altered?

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Sat 30-Jul-11 23:56:29

Is it a spur mark? From where the hair has been rubbed off and grown back white?

AlpinePony Sun 31-Jul-11 07:16:22

How old is the pony/passport?

As I say, mine has a white patch, like yours, about 4" which is not in the passport. Perhaps it grew in after her passport was created.

Mind you, she's got scars more distinctive than any white patch.

molliemol Sun 31-Jul-11 21:25:16

He is six. I don't think it could be a spur mark, because of where it is. Oh well- a mystery!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now