Talk

Advanced search

bit morbid but

(10 Posts)
MitchiestInge Mon 25-Jul-11 18:12:46

what provision have you made for your horses in your will? Do they get sold as assets if you don't gift them to someone in particular?

LisaD1 Mon 25-Jul-11 18:57:34

My 2 big girls would go to my 2 best friends (1 each and they already ride the one they would get), DD's pony would remain with them and my DH would put them into livery as he would have no clue how to keep them DIY.

MitchiestInge Mon 25-Jul-11 19:04:06

Have you formalised this (in your will) or just asked the people concerned to carry out your wishes (if they have the choice)?

LisaD1 Mon 25-Jul-11 19:50:38

It's in my will. There is also provisions incase in the event of my death the horse are too old to carry on a ridden career and my friends can't take them, in which case my farrier (who has shod my horsed for 15 years) will help my DH make a decision that is right for the horses, even if that means they are pts rather than end their lives in the wrong homes.

Can you tell I've given this a lot of thought! My friend died 10yrs ago in a riding accident and no provision was made for her horse, he ended up at market and she would have been distraught.

MitchiestInge Mon 25-Jul-11 19:55:26

that's the sort of thing am worried about sad

I suppose I could transfer their passports into my daughter's name for the time being - not that am expecting anything to happen, just unlikely to get round to altering will whereas can do passports easily

LisaD1 Mon 25-Jul-11 20:02:02

Are you married/got a partner/someone you trust who would carry out your wishes? For now, could you write a letter to be opened in the event of anything happening to you which outlines your wishes and leave it for someone you trust? I know it isn't legally binding but may put your mind at ease until you can get the will altered? Maybe also send a copy to the solicitor and ask them to file it with your will?

Pixel Mon 25-Jul-11 21:24:06

My mum owns half of dhorse so if I go first she will have him and vice versa. If any thing happened to my sister then mum and I would keep her pony between us somehow (actually, I'm sure her husband would contribute financially but he's not horsey). Either way, it's always been a given that any horses we had would remain in the family, maybe with a sharer to help if necessary.

QuietTiger Tue 26-Jul-11 12:12:08

I've made specific provision in my will for them.

DH has the choice of keeping them, if he can't/doesn't want to, then my Lusos will go to my BF who is also a Luso breeder, and the cobs will go to a named rescue (who already own our shetland - she's on permanent loan) and have already agreed to take them.

AlpinePony Tue 26-Jul-11 14:34:07

BBQ for the knees-up??

kayb123 Mon 01-Aug-11 17:21:49

i have not even thought about what would happen to my boy if anything happen to me, i dont think my hubby would cope. sad..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now