Talk

Advanced search

What is your favourite pony book?

(70 Posts)
Saggyoldclothcatpuss Mon 25-Jul-11 12:11:44

Jills Gymkhana is mine, first I ever read, and the one that made me pony mad!

marialuisa Mon 25-Jul-11 12:50:19

Siver Snaffles by Primrose Cummings. Got DD a copy as it's been reprinted by Fidra (who are also doing the Jill books amongst others). DD has commented that the "old-fashioned" pony books are much better than the newer stuff like Saddle Club which apparently "aren't much about ponies at all".

seeker Mon 25-Jul-11 12:53:10

Not really a pony book but a book with ponies- The White Riders by Monica Edwards. Also Black Hunting Whip by the same writer.

hocuspontas Mon 25-Jul-11 12:58:07

My first was 'Pony Jobs for Jill', (I was amazed that there were children without fathers and mothers had to have a job blush). But my favourite was 'Three Ponies and Shannon' by Diana Pullein-Thompson. I must try and get that on Amazon for another read!

MitchiestInge Mon 25-Jul-11 13:01:43

Ahhh Jill's Gymkhana. Also most of the Pullein-Thompsons, there were loads I think?

And my friend flicka. Let's not think about black beauty though.

AlpinePony Mon 25-Jul-11 13:27:35

Funny, I was just getting nostalgic this morning and although I remembered Jill and her mother I couldn't remember the series - they were definitely my favourite although the Pullein-Thompson sisters were great. I would read the "Shantih" stuff but never really bought in to it. confused

I still yearn for Jill's mum's bantams! grin

AlpinePony Mon 25-Jul-11 13:28:15

Oh and the Black Stallion series by Walter Farley, read this "too old" (11 ish) and tears would flow. blush

Butkin Mon 25-Jul-11 15:49:21

I'm going to vote for the Pony Club Secrets series. I know they are only recent but are totally fab and DD loves them and I love reading them to her. Just sad that we've nearly caught up and hope the author can churn out a few more!

chocolateyclur Mon 25-Jul-11 16:22:40

I loved '3 Ponies and Shannon'. And Jill. And Shantih.

I want them all again (I had to get rid of mine sad ) but they're SO expensive now.

I also liked the 'older' versions of 'The Saddle Club' series - 'Pine Hollow'

Pony books are my guilty pleasure!

Butkin Mon 25-Jul-11 16:48:26

Just one more thing - if anybody does consider buying Pony Club Secrets (by Stacy Gregg) I recommend that you buy them in order ie Mystic and the Midnight Ride first. They are written as a series and I think anybody reading them would would enjoy them more if they knew the whole sequence.

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Mon 25-Jul-11 16:52:28

I am currently buying the Jill books for DD as they are reprinted. She loves them too. I also loved the Pullein Thomson sisters' books. But one of my favourites and I have no idea what it was called was about a girl called October who had a palomino horse which she moved onto a houseboat. Any one else remember it?

AlpinePony Mon 25-Jul-11 17:08:09

I don't remember the houseboat but you've reminded me of 'a horse called September'?

hocuspontas Mon 25-Jul-11 17:21:48

I looked on Amazon and was shock at the prices as well!

ExitPursuedByAGryffin Mon 25-Jul-11 17:26:00

I remember that she was called October as when I first started reading I thought it was the month confused

VenetiaLanyon Mon 25-Jul-11 17:31:26

Can't quite remember the author, but best were Fly by Night, and the series with Ruth, who later gets a pony called Toad, and then marries a pianist...

Loved "A Horse called September". Also Tessa and her Ponies, all Pullein-Thompson / Jinny at Finmory / Jill / Flambards etc etc etc...

Mirage Mon 25-Jul-11 21:19:59

DD1 [7] loves Ponyclub Secrets too Butkin.When we went on holiday I found that her suitcase contained 7 PS books and very few clothes.My mum buys them for her as and when she sees them on Amazon/Ebay and DD1 just rockets through them.

I was telling the dds that when I was little,there were loads of pony programmes on tv,and I don't think there are any now.I remember Follyfoot,White Horses,Black Beauty and I'm sure that there were more.

Pixel Mon 25-Jul-11 21:30:55

Venetia, you mean K.M Peyton, I love those too she is one of my favourite authors. She did the 'Swallow' series as well which you might enjoy.

I loved all the books mentioned, I've still got lots of them (can't move for books in this house!) but I've got one called 'wish for a pony', by Monica Edwards I think, that I re-read lots of times.

Pixel Mon 25-Jul-11 21:32:39

Mirage, don't forget Champion the Wonder horse, I gave up ballet so that I could watch him on a saturday morning.

mrswoodentop Mon 25-Jul-11 22:20:33

I loved the Jill books too ,and had masses of the PT sisters books.Also liked the Brumby books

CaveMum Mon 25-Jul-11 22:23:22

I loved the Saddle Club books! I think I owned most of them.
God the second book, where Cobalt broke his leg and had to be put down, had me in floods of tears every time!

molliemol Mon 25-Jul-11 23:19:23

Fly by Night- K M Peyton- brilliant! I was talking about this with my dds yesterday funnily enough, and told them they had to read it. Also the Flambards books by her ( but a bit more grown up).

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Mon 25-Jul-11 23:21:41

Ive just ordered Fly by night from amazon. 1p + postage!

Moodykat Mon 25-Jul-11 23:35:13

This thread is making me nostalgic for my Jill books! I hope they are all at my Dads house still! The chances are my sister has stolen them for my nieces! I'm going to have to find out! I read and re-read a book called cross country pony but can't remember who it was by!
I loved that people in the Jill books were "such a scream"!

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Mon 25-Jul-11 23:57:04

I used to have a book called something like "we hunted hounds", it was about a group of kids whos local hunt folded, so they started their own! It would go down in flames nowadays. I rather enjoyed it!

violetwellies Tue 26-Jul-11 00:20:10

Another vote for Silver Snaffles, I spent considerable time as a ten year pld looking for the dark corner to go through. Later I enjoyed the Ginny & Shantih stories.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now