Talk

Advanced search

Should I get this pony?

(16 Posts)
Abbicob Thu 21-Jul-11 12:28:53

Hi all -I have been offered a saint of a pony for my little girl and I am not sure what to do.

He is 14 years old done been there done it and got the t shirt.

My daughter is 2 yrs and 2 mths old and loves horses and has sat on mine quite a bit in the past, however she has never ridden as such.

I planned to get her a pony when she was 3 and had this pony lined up. Things have changed however and the pony is available now.

The thing is I did not really want to take it on over winter - extra mucking out etc.. and wanted to take it on in April next year.

Am I just been lazy and should I go for it, or she too young for a pony just yet?

Not sure what to do.

The pony would be on diy livery with my own

QuietTiger Thu 21-Jul-11 12:30:31

Will you loose the pony if you don't take it now? If the answer is yes and you can afford it, I'd say take it. Good ponies are a godsend and very hard to find.

Abbicob Thu 21-Jul-11 12:39:12

Yes I will loose it.
Just trying to justify it to the husband smile

olderyetwider Thu 21-Jul-11 12:59:27

Get the pony if you can manage it (cost plus work, plus keeping it ridden and maintained). It would be a shame to lose it if it's the right one. Husband can live on beans on toast to help with cost

Disasterpiece Thu 21-Jul-11 16:47:31

I dont think you should take it.

Your DD isnt big enough to ride yet or take any responsibility for her own pony. By that I mean grooming, tack cleaning, mucking out, exercising him etc.

The pony will be wasted for at least another 18 months unless you have someone else capable of riding him.

Also if you dont want the extra cost and time of looking after an extra horse in winter this year what makes it any different next year?

There will be another one just as safe but at a better time.

cedmonds Thu 21-Jul-11 19:07:48

Hi
I think you should take it. Ds had his pony when he has 2 and they have a really strong bond now 3 years later. He used to ride nearly every day in the summer even if it was only a walk around the school. They can go to pony club and 3 which he loved and still does.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Thu 21-Jul-11 21:03:04

Weeelll, what sort of pony is it? providing you have somewhere to put it, and its not a poncey show pony type, theres no reason why it couldnt come now, be used until the weather gets crap, and then get turned out for the winter. My DD started riding at 4, but wasnt much use for anything once the weather turned until she was 10 or 11. (theres not much to her, and she turns blue really quickly!) Even nowadays, one of her ponies will be wound down for the winter and live out. The trick is to start them off out as soon as they start to throw their summer coats. Then they get acclimatised in good time. Theres no reason why DD cant ride it when its wooly either.

Abbicob Fri 22-Jul-11 08:47:18

Thanks for all the comments - I decided not to get the pony in the end. I think she is a bit young and as disaster has said she would not have got any benefit at the moment. I was just getting carried away.

The pony was a lovely dark bay section A who has done a bit of everything. I would never get a show pony type for a very small child smile

Butkin Fri 22-Jul-11 09:54:32

DD got a bay Section A schoolmistress for her 2nd birthday and loved riding her. She got a Safari Cub Saddle and we were off. She'd won her first show class by the time she was 3 and was also doing little gymkhana games. Famously she did the ride and run when her running was slowed down by her nappy!

I'd have said go for it!

Backinthebox Fri 22-Jul-11 09:56:30

Am so glad Abbicob isn't going after this pony. I've had my eye on it for over a year, and am off to see it tomorrow. Just one word so you know who's looking - Bacardi wink

Abbicob Fri 22-Jul-11 11:55:22

Not fair bankinthebox - I am glad you are getting him though. I really wanted him next year when DD is 3 but not to be sad

Disasterpiece Fri 22-Jul-11 14:59:24

Well how long is backinthebox going to be using the pony for? A few years max? Maybe she can then sell it on to you Abbicob.

Abbicob Fri 22-Jul-11 16:26:31

Not sure she is dead mean though - pinching my pony shock
smile

CluckyKate Wed 27-Jul-11 22:53:14

OK, am going to put my hand up and admit it is me buying this fabulous pony for my nearly-3yo pony-mad daughter. Box is a true friend for telling me about him as sadly she's not in a position to get him herself. I luffs her I do grin

Guess that makes me the meanie Abbicob, not Box, for pinching the pony from both of you shock

Anyhoo - ponio flew through the vetting, money has been paid and Box & I collect him tomorrow morning. Meanwhile DD is sooo excited she can't sleep....every silver lining has a cloud and all that wink

leafbird Sat 30-Jul-11 23:02:29

I was in the same situation and my ds2 is only 9 months old, but i knew he was the most perfect first pony i had seen in many years.So i decided to get him and ds2 sits on him most days, he also is a great companion for our other two. I think i got him so early as our first son is not really interested in horses.good luck with teaching your daughter xx.

WillowKnicks Thu 04-Aug-11 22:36:36

My 'right horse' found me at the wrong time and I went for it, even though it took a lot of juggling around but I'm so glad I did. IMO if you find a fantastic horse that suits you/dd if at all possible grab that opportunity with both hands.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now