Talk

Advanced search

Advice wanted ... throwing stones at a horse?

(12 Posts)
RealEyesRealiseRealLies Sat 18-Jun-11 09:44:58

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AlpinePony Sat 18-Jun-11 11:27:45

I would not take the horse.

IME if the YO partakes in violence towards the animals it'll be a bloody free for all.

I've left a place in the past because the staff were slap/punch/kick happy. sad

My current yard is not perfect in terms of facilities but the yo is good in terms of treatment and anyone abusing the animals is chucked out immediately.

I can't even bear the type of person who has a running verbal criticism commentary when riding. You know the 'fecking pick your feet up burger meat'.

MitchiestInge Sat 18-Jun-11 17:30:00

angry what a stupid, horrible thing to do

I know you have to be quite firm with youngsters but have never heard of or seen anyone throwing stones. I have cringed and wanted to cry at far less. But how long could you reasonably expect a 2yo to be tied for anyway?

There are some brutal horsey people around, you just have to hope they get kicked somewhere painful one day.

redredruby Mon 20-Jun-11 11:06:46

Alarm bells would be ringing, loudly! Would you be keeping the horse at the yard?

ManateeEquineOhara Mon 20-Jun-11 13:01:43

I know a vile women who has been caught throwing stones at horses at several yards, she is a nasty piece of work. I would be wary.

ohnelly Thu 23-Jun-11 07:15:03

My god! If she does that when people are there, imagine what she does when no-one is looking! I would be wary too

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Thu 23-Jun-11 11:34:54

It depends on the circumstances, and the way the small stones were thrown. We have been known to toss a small stone at a pony leaning it's bum on the stable door, or scratching on a fence post. However, they are tossed not thrown, and are never aimed at the head. On the odd occasion it's been done, it's because it's a sudden surprise which works well as a deterrent, marching across the yard to tell them off would lose the moment, and lessen the impact of the rebuke. We are talking small gravel, not half bricks.
I'd say, youngsters need to learn to stand unattended, and trying to slip it's headcollar needs a fairly instantaneous response, before the horse legs it. Id say, tossing a stone and shouting was a slightly random, off the cuff way of dealing with it quickly.
Possibly not very appropriate, but hardly cruelty!

LordOfTheFlies Fri 24-Jun-11 00:28:18

One stable where I used to ride as a teenager ( many years ago).One of the newer ponies ( riding school ponies) was kicking his door. Possibly because the others were going out or because he could hear us talking.
One of the instructors grabbed a whip from a pupil and whacked the stable door with the handle endshock

If she'd been in the stable and/or alone, she might have walloped the pony?

Callisto Fri 24-Jun-11 13:19:12

Door-bangers are a pain. I don't think you can equate someone whacking a stable door (good shock-factor for the horse) with someone who would whack a horse.

Not sure about the stone throwing, it doesn't sound too extreme to me tbh.

LordOfTheFlies Fri 24-Jun-11 17:19:04

No Callisto she was a bitch of the highest order. She wasn't at the stables long,thankfully.She used to reprimand a pony who blew its belly out having the girth done up with a hefty-and I mean hefty- slap under the belly.
And the pony in question was a newbie and quite spooky, he darted to the back of his loosebox.
That's not the right way to treat a door-botherer.

maybells Mon 11-Jul-11 11:27:54

there is a fine line between going over the top and dealing with a rude animal who needs manners. i have seen a wooden twitch being wacked over a horses kneck repeatedly because it wouldnt stand to be clipped. i have seen much worse. i have also seen people being crushed and kicked purposely by rude horses who have no manners!
a 2 yr old is not going to stand still for any length of time and should have been turned out sooner, but it also has to learn.
if the stone was thrown at head and being thrown in a nasty way i wouldnt want my horse on the yard! if you dnt know how to deal with a youngster dnt own one! too many good horses ruined by idiots who dnt know what they are doing.

CalamityKate Mon 11-Jul-11 13:14:34

<i have also seen people being crushed and kicked purposely by rude horses who have no manners!>

I used to look after a showjumper who, while being groomed (and not even in tickly places) used to peep at you from the corner of his eye and then oh-so-casually, step by step, edge closer and closer to you, forcing you to step back. Then when he'd got you near enough to the stable wall, he'd suddenly body-slam you so you ended up squished between him and the wall.

You soon learned to give him a prod in the ribs at the first step, otherwise you ended up wriggling like a bug and squeaking breathlessly for someone to come and rescue you.

However, throwing stones at a horse is Not On, particularly a young horse tied up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now