Talk

Advanced search

Children novels about a wild horse... suggestions?

(22 Posts)
AllQuietOnThePippisFront Sun 12-Jun-11 15:48:23

I am trying to find a novel that I read non-stop when I was 12ish (I think).

I do not remember the title nor the name of the horse nor anything except it was about a pack of wild horses with particualr focus on one. Something like Spirit but without all the adventure.

Go on please, you horse lovers, give me ideas, if nothing else I'll discover some new ones for my children.

Ah, I was 12 in 1986.

TIA

ManateeEquineOhara Sun 12-Jun-11 15:51:25

The Silver Brumby?

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Sun 12-Jun-11 17:10:29

Brumby? About a White stallion and his herd?

NightLark Sun 12-Jun-11 17:23:29

My Friend Flicka (Flicker?). ?

meditrina Sun 12-Jun-11 17:24:30

I answered on your other thread too.

Might it be the trilogy: My Friend Flicka, Thunderhead and The Green Grass of Wyoming (by Mary O'Hara)?

It almost certainly isn't Tschiffely's Ride, but that might be a book you'd like.

bruffin Sun 12-Jun-11 17:25:26

Is it Thunderhead, sequel to My Friend Flicka and Green Grass if Wyoming.

I used to read the Brumby books, they were wild horses set in australia.

FannyPriceless Sun 12-Jun-11 21:42:02

Is it a Marguerite Henry book? Mustang? Or Misty of Chincoteague?

Have a look at Jane Badger's website if you get stuck. She has every pony book ever on there! here

VivaLeBeaver Sun 12-Jun-11 21:46:47

Thjanks for the Misty of Chincoteague suggestion.

I've been trying to remember a book which sounds very similar to OP's one for ages and its this one. Just ordered it from Amazon.

Browncoats Mon 13-Jun-11 17:03:44

Is it The Phantom Horse by Christine Pullen-Thomson? Brilliant books.

Another absolutely fantastic series is the Jinny series, set in Scotland and written by Patricia Leitch. Cannot recommend them enough.

purpleloosestrife Mon 13-Jun-11 17:33:40

the black stallion (series of 3)

chocolateyclur Mon 13-Jun-11 17:44:31

Pony books are still my guilty pleasure. I desperately want to get the Collins pony library again.

I was thinking the Jinny books - her horse Shantih was originally "wild" in Scotland after escaping a circus following a crash.

molliemol Mon 13-Jun-11 20:27:29

Could it be Spirit:stallion of the Cimarron? A film, definitely- not sure if it was a book first.

AllQuietOnThePippisFront Thu 16-Jun-11 17:34:29

wow, thank you for all the suggestions. I will have a look at them one by one and see if I can find it. The fact that I grew up in Italy doesn't help... cannot even recognise the book cover sad! Do not panic: I am sure the authour was from an english speaking country!

(apologies for the copy and paste from othet thread but time is valuable today, i.e. I am in a flipping rush!
)

sprinkles77 Sun 19-Jun-11 20:58:09

The man from snowy river.

sprinkles77 Sun 19-Jun-11 20:59:34

Not a novel but lovely poem with great illustrations.

elephantpoo Sun 19-Jun-11 21:51:20

chocolateyclur - I loved the Jinny and Shantih books. Lost hours "needing" to read the next chapter! Looked them up for DD recently. They are by Patricia Leitch.

shufflebum Sun 19-Jun-11 21:52:43

From your description I would defintely say the Jinny books. Used to love them!

ManateeEquineOhara Mon 20-Jun-11 13:07:29

I also loved the Jinny and Shantih books! I wanted to BE her! But they were not about a herd of wild horses!

mistlethrush Mon 20-Jun-11 13:10:16

I think that there are more than 3 of the Black Stallion Books

I also enjoyed the Silver Brumby book and others in the same set

"Rosina Copper" was a lovely book if its still available - not wild - but more of a rescue scenario.

Pixel Mon 20-Jun-11 14:15:30

I'd forgotten all about Rosina Copper. Oh I really want to read it now.

CornishKK Mon 20-Jun-11 14:17:26

Phantom, Misty of Chincotague's Mum, it's got to be. I still have the box set!

QueenoftheVerse Tue 21-Jun-11 15:34:14

They don't make the Jinny books by Patricia Leitch any more. I've got the whole series but I had to buy them from eBay and the last one I had to have shipped from Australia and it cost me around £18! Totally worth it though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now