Talk

Advanced search

opinions needed please

(14 Posts)
elephantpoo Sun 12-Jun-11 08:01:01

I have been thinking about DD's next pony for some time now and need some advice. Her little Dartmoor is 12.2 and I don't think they're going to be suited for much longer sad See my profile for a picture..........how long do you give her on him? She's riding short in the picture-her instructor is getting her to ride longer, and as a result her legs are nearly under his belly.
I started a thread asking for advice re. buying a 2 yo filly to bring on for her, but I don't feel I'll have time before she's ready to move on.
Where would you go from here? What size pony would you look at next?
She's a good rider, but only 8 3/4, so I wouldn't want to go too big (and strong) and over horse her / rule her out of kids show classes. But also don't want to be buying something that will only do her for a year or so (we only got DDartmoor in Sept last year!)
Thanks for any input.
<wonders if I can come up with some way off stopping her growing?>

LisaD1 Sun 12-Jun-11 10:05:54

I have an 11yr old who has a 13.2. We also had the pony schooled by a 17yr old lightweight teen who didn't look ridiculous on her. I think I would stick to something under 14.2 if possible.

Having said that we are looking at a 15.1 which she will grow into and I can also ride but we're looking at a horse that has been there/done it and is in early teens so with an established attitude. Her pony is also the same sore, she was 15 when we bought her and has seen/done everything.

Good luck in your search, there are some lovely horses around at the moment.

molliemol Sun 12-Jun-11 12:31:41

What about a 13.2 section C? A nice gentle one, who will be able to carry her for years. She is very young to move her on to a 14.2. If you go for a section c, at least she will have plenty of riding out of it, and could move onto horses at about 13/14?

ManateeEquineOhara Sun 12-Jun-11 16:06:47

She could ride him weight wise for much longer, but she would probably be more in proportion to something a bit bigger within a year. I would say about 13.2hh. But I always feel bad on these kind of threads, because my mare is only 13hh, and I am 5'7, so I WOULD say she is fine on him smile

cedmonds Sun 12-Jun-11 21:50:47

I went onto a 14h2 welsh D at that age and she was far to big and strong !! I spent a whole week at camp being pissed of with and dumped. My DN is 9 and we are looking for a 13h2 for her, we are looking at loan and then if she carries on growing loads we wouldnt have spent loads on a pony for a year.

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Mon 13-Jun-11 13:03:06

I would say it will do her for a while. Yes her legs are quite long, but she doesn't look silly riding shorter, and her body doesn't tower over him. 12.2 isn't that small. My DD is a smallish 12 and she is just moving up to 13hh. It's not heavy set, but is still a bit of a handful for her. If you are going larger, you definitely need something lighter and quiet. I wouldn't rush though. I'm 5'2 and used to ride DDs 13hh myself. We fit together just fine.

ManateeEquineOhara Mon 13-Jun-11 15:56:01

EP, let me know if you would be interested in a 13hh cobby type for a 1 year loan.

elephantpoo Mon 13-Jun-11 21:05:42

Thanks everybody. This has been useful.
molliemol and cedmonds - I have a Welsh x who is 14.2 and had planned to share him with DD before I got him, but he's got such a chunky neck, and like you suggest, I think she may find him too much. I think she may be ready for him at 13 / 14.
I'm glad you think he'll last her a bit longer Saggy and Manatee - they're in such a good place at the moment smile
I'm looking ahead because the price of ponies scares me. A been there and done could set us back a fortune. If I buy a youngster now it may be ready when she is, at less than half the price!
LisaD1 - you're right, there are some lovely ponies out there atm!!!

LisaD1 Mon 13-Jun-11 21:34:44

I bought an older, been there, done that for DD. Pony was 15 when we got her and sitting in a field as teenage owners had moved onto boys! She was underweight and unfit but her lovely nature shone through. I paid £600 for her with tack and rugs and delivery included.

Took a few months to get her to where she should be weight/fitness wise and she is in fantastic condition now, I have had several offers for her, all over 2k, bit she is definitley not for sale.

Hope you find what you're looking for.

dappleton Tue 14-Jun-11 10:43:27

I'd agree she looks absolutely fine on him at the moment, if you only bought him last september (and were happy with his size then) I assume she's just had a bit of a growth spurt so it's possible they will be fine togther for a while yet. I wouldn't get a pony much bigger than 13.2hh next, it depends what she likes to do with her riding but if she's still into gymkhana/handy pony type classes then anything bigger might make her feel a bit out of place imo.

elephantpoo Tue 14-Jun-11 19:45:13

Manatee - is it your mare for loan?? Thanks for the offer, but I think we'll keep going with Dartmoor for another year and reassess then x

elephantpoo Tue 14-Jun-11 19:48:24

LisaD1 - sounds like you found a cracker smile
dappleton - that's a good point about gymkana, etc.

Think we'll stick with Dartmoor for a bit and reassess next year.

olderyetwider Wed 15-Jun-11 09:15:48

That sounds like a really good decision elephantpoo. You can just relax and enjoy the summer now you've resolved this.

ManateeEquineOhara Wed 15-Jun-11 18:25:15

Yeah...she is sort of (a committed share at a new yard would be good). I think you have made the right decision sticking with the Dartmoor for now. They are strong little things smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: