Advanced search

The time has come

(15 Posts)
olderyetwider Wed 08-Jun-11 13:39:47

GD is definitely getting too tall for her pony now. Unless anyone knows of a magic potion to make him grow, we're embarking on the hunt for her next one. It was so stressful last time, I've been dreading it. Would be less stressful choosing her a husband!

Why is everything currently for sale a thoroughbred mare?

Butkin Wed 08-Jun-11 15:33:13

What are you looking for in terms of type, size, age, sex, job, price, location etc? I love a good pony search! Trouble is most children will have their ponies for the summer for shows, pony club etc. Their parents will be moving them on afterwards and there will be a rash of them in September!

marialuisa Wed 08-Jun-11 15:45:40

Will keep an ear to the ground as we are more or less in the same area. Are you looking for 15hh?

I've sent you a PM about livery yards. Hope that's ok.

Mirage Wed 08-Jun-11 17:50:45

They don't seem to be selling fast at the minute.All 3 which I enquired about before finding our pony are still for sale.
What size,sex ect are you looking for? Julie at Park View Equestrian centre has a few for sale-she rang me yesterday,but hopefully we are sorted.The pony club website had a lot come on for sale recently too.

olderyetwider Thu 09-Jun-11 09:24:34

I'm pretty sure we're looking for 15hh. Gd is 5'3 and very long legged. At 12, I think she's at the start of a growth spurt. Her current pony is 13.3hh so I think she wouldn't get long from a 14.2. It's difficult because I thought she was a bit young for competing on a horse, but she's gutsy so will probably cope, and she doesn't have unrealistic expectations of ribbons!

If I could find a nice 14.2 on loan I'd probably go for it, but I think she's ready for the transition to a horse. Funny really, as I expected to be looking for a 14.2 Connemara.

In terms of budget, I'm hoping not to go much over £3,500.

Age wise, around 10 I think would be perfect, and an allrounder, although show jumping and WH classes are GD's favorite things. It must be well behaved out hacking as we do a lot of that as a family, and we do meet tractors and the like so not too jumpy.

Ideally I'd like a gelding, as we've got two mares, but I'm open minded to the right (non mareish) mare.

She tried a nice horse last night (15.1 thoroughbred geldingshock) Not at all what I had in mind, but she did really well, and the dealer offered us a trial peiod, to include camp so we are considering it, (I may be mad, don't hesitate to tell me so!) but still looking as I'd like her to try different styles.

You make a good point Butkin, it won't be the end of the world if we don't find the right horse before the September glut as weight wise she's ok on Ben and could carry on on him till then.

If anyone in the East Midlands (we're Leicestershire) hears of anything I'd be grateful!

Saggyoldclothcatpuss Fri 10-Jun-11 00:12:41

You need a friend like ours who has 11 horses and ponies! When you outgrow one, theres always another standing by! grin

ManateeEquineOhara Fri 10-Jun-11 07:28:06

Thoroughbreds can be lovely! But I am with you on being a little bit wary of them, but that is mostly due to their lack of hardiness.

At 5'3 a 13.3 should be fine though, is the horse very finely built or old? Although I suppose at 5'3 at 12 she would be outgrowing by 14/15 I would be in no hurry yet unless she is keen to move up to horses.

olderyetwider Fri 10-Jun-11 08:45:42

Manatee, She maybe should be fine on a 13.3, but she really is getting too big on him. (he is finely built) Her legs are getting to that stage where she'll have to compensate for them hanging below his belly, or ride like a jockey. I don't think either will help her riding I'm not in a hurry, she could go through the summer on him, but it is time to be looking.

We think that the thoroughbred may have been a bit too big for her; even though she rode him nicely I was a bit concerned about how she'd manage if he was less cooperative. The trial is tempting, but then unless he's vile to her we'll probably bond, and keep him even if he's not right. Still considering, and very impressed by the dealer, but I think it's probably a no

We're going to look for something like a Connemara/TB cross, and definitely no bigger than 15hh (Likely to be way over budget, would have to rob a bank or hock the family silver if we had any)

ManateeEquineOhara Fri 10-Jun-11 18:50:15

Ah okay, I know what you mean, some finer built horses have no 'body' to take up the leg. Mine is the other way around - a big horse's body on short legs!

olderyetwider Fri 10-Jun-11 22:28:28

(Manatee, absolutely, he doesn't take up the leg at all. He's also 18, so deserves some consideration)

Guess what we did today though! (GD off school with tail end of chest infection but fine for horse shopping) . We've found a lovely 14.2hh Irish sports pony at a very reputable dealer (mare, 8 years old, Connemara type, lots of bone, chunky but not cobby). GD looks like she'd be fine on her for at least 18 months, and she went like a dream for her. She was also way less than I expected to pay. So I've paid a deposit subject to vetting (definitely a first to see will buy pony, lovely attitude to work and very sweet on the ground) If all's well with vetting, we'll collect her at the end of next week.

Provided she passes the vetting, she's the sort of pony you could definitley sell on for what we're paying if GD finds she's not just right, or has growth spurt early. I'm glad we went to try the TB, as it was good to get a reality check about what she's actually ready for, and that dealer is definitely on my phone list when we're looking for a horse.

Wait for the thread about how I impulse bought a pony though!

ManateeEquineOhara Sat 11-Jun-11 17:43:53

Fantastic! Sounds lovely!

olderyetwider Tue 14-Jun-11 09:20:17

Pony has passed vetting so we're collecting her on Thursday. It is a bit of a gamble as she doesn't have much of a CV (newly over from Ireland), but lovely temperament and attitude. We'll get her fit, take her to some shows and to camp, and see if she's really got the speed and scope GD is looking for. If not, she'll stay on Ben, and new pony will sell on as a first pony/less confident child's pony (in theory, because we'll bond, won't we!)

MitchiestInge Tue 14-Jun-11 09:29:09

How exciting! That pony sounds NICE, is she grey?

olderyetwider Tue 14-Jun-11 09:59:37

She's dark bay, with a white star, really pretty with a kind look to her face. GS rode Ben last night and says he wants to start riding again, so we'll see how he goes, then if he's still keen we might offer Ben on part loan rather than full.

MitchiestInge Tue 14-Jun-11 10:20:54

Ahhh, like my horse. (technically he is brown but I don't see it, dark bay to everyone but his passport)

Have the urge to get another pony. We do need one.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: