Talk

Advanced search

getting back in the saddle...things to consider?

(12 Posts)
FriggFRIGG Tue 31-May-11 21:55:28

hello,
ive been riding since i was 6 yrs old,and had my own ponies/horses from 12 years old until 3 yrs ago,when i sold my lovely chestnut mare,to move away.
i have since had my 2DC and now DC2 is old enough to be left with daddy,so i feel like i can start riding again....

it seems like a lifetime ago,and im desperate to start again.
im not really sure what to do though,
i guess i could have 2-4 afternoons/evenings a week free(DP gets home from work at 3pm)
so i was thinking of finding a part loan...or riding lessons??
what do you reckon?

any advice appreciated!

LordOfTheFlies Tue 31-May-11 23:00:41

If I was going to fling my leg over the leather again I think I'd do a few refreshers first then see about a loan. It'd be interesting to try out a few ponies/horses before you commit and maybe your riding style needs some fine-tuning.
I haven't ridden for 16 years but used to from age 12-29.
Also 2 children so my bodyshape and muscle tone has deffo changed.

Get a pitchfork in your hand and get mucking out then get back in the saddlegrinenvy

FriggFRIGG Tue 31-May-11 23:35:43

yeah!
im getting all excited nowgrin

Amieesmum Thu 09-Jun-11 19:01:22

heheh Frigg! I've just got back in the saddle after a 4 year gap, and OMG it felt so good! Despite being so sore i couldn't walk straight for a few days, Just had my fourth lesson, and decided that's totally not enough for me. Now looking to find a share..

Hope you get on with it & love it as much as you always did :D x

FriggFRIGG Thu 09-Jun-11 22:14:08

oh thats so encouraging!
did you remember everything,quite quickly??
my mum is going to take me down to her yard (well my old yard,she got a pony on loan after i stopped going!) to ride her's,she not normally my kind of ride,but im just sooooo excited grin

olderyetwider Thu 09-Jun-11 22:33:55

I've come back after a 30 year gap. I'm not brave any longer, and essentially just a happy hacker. All those years ago I was happy on anything, now I'm not, so don't dismiss the pony, you may well find that what you want has changed

Amieesmum Fri 10-Jun-11 17:03:11

I don't think i've forgotten anything, it's a bit like riding a bike. Have been alloctated a very green horse thats new to the riding school, he's hard work to say the least!

One thing i did find, even though i go to the gym three times a week, i felt so unfit riding again, my legs hurt in places i have forgotten could hurt!

SilverSky Sun 12-Jun-11 18:36:53

If you enjoy the lessons I would then look for a 2-3 day share a week. That will get you back in the swing of everything and will work out better value for money than a riding school. Hardest bit is finding a suitable horse and owner!

Debs75 Sun 12-Jun-11 18:47:06

Let me now how it turns out Frigg I stopped riding when i got pregnant with dc3, 3 and a half years ago. i take dc1 riding every week but i haven't got up the courage to 'fling my leg over the leather' yet.
After my teens I had a gap of 14 years and getting back on was easy and a lot came back quickly.
Go for it girl!

Loshad Sun 12-Jun-11 19:12:06

I didn't really forget anything - had a longer break than you, but i am definately not as good - been riding again for about 6 years and still bumbling around BE 90s and contemplating the show jumping for BE100s - used to compete at OI sad however i am enjoying myself, and do have very much less time than i did pre dcs for riding/training.

Debs75 Sun 12-Jun-11 21:47:00

Practical things to remember would be safety, does your hat still fit? might it need replacing?
When dd stopped for a few months ds threw her hat down the stairs so I had to replace it

BlessThisMess Fri 17-Jun-11 14:19:48

I've just started again after a 25 year gap - am loving it sooooo much! I have the biggest smile on my face the whole lesson. Yes, everything hurts a lot but I am wishing I had done this a long time ago. I was nervous but my first canter went beautifully and I had the greatest time!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: