Advanced search

stately home with stables - lots of questions

(8 Posts)
statelyhome Fri 27-May-11 17:12:51

name changed.

In the process of looking to move to an estate, many of which have stables/ equestrian facilities. I haven't ridden for 20yrs and therefore dismissed all properties with equestrian facilities BUT a friend mentioned that I could get a live-in groom, who could look after horses, teach me to ride (again) and teach 5yoDD - is this possible?

If so:
what's the salary of a live-in groom?
what would their duties be?
who would look after horses when they're on holiday?
where do I find a live-in groom?
where do I find a horse for a novice and child?

Would include a 2 bed flat/ cottage.

Not sure whether to go down this route, but the more I think about it, the more it makes sense.

Pixel Fri 27-May-11 19:36:44

Hi, can't help with most of those questions, but I've seen adverts in Horse and Hound for such jobs, usually duties in return for accommodation and a small salary.

Pixel Fri 27-May-11 19:37:59

Some of them seem to expect help around the house and garden too, especially if the accommodation is for a couple.

statelyhome Fri 27-May-11 19:42:53

Thanks Pixel, I shall have a look on H&H website.

No need for housework as the housekeeper would do that.

If anyone else out there can help, I'd love to know your thoughts.

ohnelly Fri 27-May-11 20:48:53

Hi have a look at yard & groom website too!

Elllllabellllla Fri 27-May-11 21:39:58

Will you be having a library and peacocks too?

Booboostoo Fri 27-May-11 23:15:06

Yard and groom is the place to look at.

Salary will depend on benefits, e.g. minimum salary per hour would be acceptable and there is a legal deduction you can make if you provide accommodation. You may want to look for a couple, as the husband can help out with DIY and general maintenance (you are bound to have broken fences, pipes that need fixing, a bit of field maintenance, etc.). If you can offer a stable for the groom's own horse someone will bite your hand off for the job!

One more thing to consider is employer's liability insurance which may not be covered by your house insurance if the groom works for you full time.

Duties would depend on how many horses you have, so let's say you had a child's pony and a safe hack for yourself, duties would include mucking out, grooming, being around for farrier/vet, exercising/lunging, etc. The problem is that two horses would not occupy a full time groom all day long, but at the same time the horses would need doing every day, so you would need to negotiate something with the groom - perhaps they could work for you part time every day and seek other employment on some days.

If the groom was on holiday you would need to do the horses!!

The teaching bit is the difficult bit. Few grooms would have the qualifications/experience to teach a beginner from scratch and safely. Ideally you and your daughter should go to a good riding school and have lessons for a year or two until you both have more experience. It will also give you a chance to make sure you are really interested in getting back into riding before investing in two horses.

Finding the right pony for a child and horse for a beginner adult is a complete minefield. Expect seller to lie through their teeth, take a very experienced person with you to advise you, view more than once and have a vetting before you buy.

Best of luck!

statelyhome Wed 01-Jun-11 16:04:20

Excellent advice. Thank you very much for taking the time to post!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: