Talk

Advanced search

Ink won't flow in my Parker pen nib. Can anyone help please ?

(16 Posts)
MakeItAmazing Mon 25-Feb-19 18:45:05

The lady who sold it to me suggested I flush out the nib which I have done as well as flicking it and ink does fly out. However when I try and write, nothing or very very little and it looks like the cartridge must be almost empty. I've tried with a brand new cartridge even though the original one was 3/4 full. I'm frustrated as it cost a lot and my cheapie one works better sad.

SillyMoomin Mon 25-Feb-19 18:48:00

Sorry op, I don’t know the answer, but just bumping for you, as I’m so excited there’s a stationary topic and I never knew!!

TheRattleBag Mon 25-Feb-19 18:51:01

What sort of Parker is it?

Have you removed the nib from the body and given it a really good clean through? They usually twist and pull out and can then be cleaned more thoroughly,

If you've tried this and it's not working, then I don't know what else to suggest. But I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon!

burbleburble Mon 25-Feb-19 18:53:16

Does it use single use cartridges or bottled ink?
How long have you had it?
Did you try it before you bought it?
Has it ever written well?
Has it got the right size of nib for you?

If you've flushed it, did you dry it before putting a cartridge in?
Might be worth putting the cartridge in, putting the lid on and shaking really hard.

I've got an expensive fountain pen which has dried up through under use, so I've got a bit of experience in getting them going again!

MakeItAmazing Mon 25-Feb-19 19:12:23

Thank you SillyMoomin grin.

TheRattleBag - I'm not sure exactly the model but it is a very beautiful pink rose one. I unscrewed the nib and ran water through it until it came clean.

burbleburble - I use single use Parker cartridges and I'm not sure how long I have had it but it's not had a lot of use. There wasn't an option to try before I bought it. It either works fine or not at all. I let the nib dry for a few days before trying again. Dh is going to have a look later but I'll also try the shaking with the lid.

Thank you very much everyone 🖋

MakeItAmazing Mon 25-Feb-19 19:15:11

I think it is this one.

MakeItAmazing Mon 25-Feb-19 19:15:58

With gold not silver bits.

burbleburble Mon 25-Feb-19 19:23:39

Ah, they are easier to get going with bottled ink - you draw the ink into the cartridge through the nib, which removes any lurking gunge, and ensures the ink has reached the nib.

Just looked up the pen - it is properly expensive, it really should write properly!

WrongKindOfFace Mon 25-Feb-19 19:35:04

I’d soak it in warm water and a mild detergent in case it’s bunged up somewhere.

MakeItAmazing Mon 25-Feb-19 20:34:11

could it be bunged up when it's only on cartridge 2 or 3?

FortunaMajor Mon 25-Feb-19 20:47:17

Take the cartridge out and dip the nib into the open end of it, you might need to squeeze it a bit to get the ink far up enough. Then put the cartridge back on and give it a bit of a squeeze until you see the ink bubble from the nib slightly. You don't need to wait until the pen is dry either, just be aware you need to do a bit of writing on scrap paper until the ink flows normally as the first few lines will be watered down. Usually works with mine and I have a few more than is normal Parkers. New ones sometimes need a bit of encouragement.

MakeItAmazing Mon 25-Feb-19 20:57:43

Thank you. I will give that a go.

MakeItAmazing Thu 28-Feb-19 11:31:19

I have tried everything you all kindly suggested and still very little. I have emailed Parker direct to ask as I suspect the shop I bought it from will say tough. I've had it for 14 months but only used it a handful of times sad

MakeItAmazing Mon 04-Mar-19 10:36:24

I have had an amazing offer from Parker. As they can not service my pen they have offered me a replacement shock. Any advice how to pick the best one for me would be very much appreciated.

VeryLittleOwl Tue 26-Mar-19 20:09:12

That's very kind of them! I think the only thing you can really do is find somewhere that stocks them and try a few out.

Assuming Parker can't service your pen because it's an older model, have you tried the Battersea Pen Home? They did a brilliant job when I stupidly dropped my Parker 51 on its nib - replacement nib and a full service and it's working probably better than it did when it was new (it was my grandfather's, I'm ridiculously attached to it).

www.penhome.co.uk/pages/pen-repairs

wellbuggerme Fri 28-Jun-19 20:29:28

i still use the same parker fountain pen I did my gcse`s in and that was 1992!

when i put a new cartridge in i gently sqeeze the cartridge to get it going if it`s not flowing of its own accord. i`ve never rinsed it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »