Talk

Advanced search

Theatre & Drama A Level teachers - is this normal?

(8 Posts)
Handsdram Wed 18-Nov-20 13:20:39

Hello, I am an ex-teacher and a parent to Yr12 Dd doing the Edexcel syllabus. They are doing Frantic Assembly for a devising assessment, working in a group. There is no social distancing going on from the pupils and teacher. The pupils are touching, dancing together and lifting etc. Teacher has said ‘we’ll have to do it on a socially distanced way when we video it’.

Dd is really uncomfortable - no one is wearing masks and it’s in a (large theatre style) room with no windows open. We are in tier 3 area and there have been multiple teachers and pupils off positive. There is at least one Yr12 pupil off at the moment with a positive result.

Is this normal practice for drama at the moment? The teacher is literally rubbing shoulders with the class. I thought teachers were supposed to be 2m away from pupils at least? This is what happens in her other lessons where she feels safe.

I would like an idea of what is going on in other schools so I can respond appropriately.

OP’s posts: |
Handsdram Wed 18-Nov-20 13:50:20

Just like to add I am a regular mumsnetter but name-changed as this is a potentially tricky situation to raise. If this is the norm in others drama lessons we will have to think about alternatives for the assessment as it is clear the teacher and other pupils will not social distance.

ValancyRedfern Fri 20-Nov-20 16:39:28

It's not normal for me but different schools are following different rules. Some are allowing students to touch as they are all in the same bubble. This sounds like it's the casein your dd's school. At my school the students have to keep at least 1 metre apart, and Ks3 students aren't even allowed in the drama studio at all, they are stuck in classrooms. I think if your dd is uncomfortable she should raise it with the teacher/her form tutor, and ask what the school risk assessment says. As an aside, I bloody hate Frantic Assembly!

ValancyRedfern Fri 20-Nov-20 16:40:33

Just to add that yes, I am keeping 2 metres away from my students at all times and wearing a mask.

ValancyRedfern Fri 20-Nov-20 16:43:29

Also Windows should be open at all times. To me that's the most important of all the Covid rules. Frantic Assembly have this theory that opening the windows let's the 'energy' out of the room, so maybe the teacher has closed the windows for that (nonsensical) reason. I'd be very surprised if that wasn't in contravention of the school's corona virus risk assessment.

Handsdram Fri 20-Nov-20 17:45:22

Thank you for replying with your experience. It’s such a difficult situation. Yes it is in conflict with school rules they gave pupils. She does not want to have any conflict with the teacher as they are nice and practically she needs an A grade to do her (niche) university course. Dd knows she can only control her behaviour, not others. However when the teacher is encouraging physical contact and doing it themselves, Dd knows the only way to control it, is to not participate. Which is awkward and isn’t going to get her any marks for the assessment. She would be absolutely ok with the conditions you describe.
Not sure what to do.

Handsdram Fri 20-Nov-20 18:03:09

Well that was an epic name change fail - never mind!

Handsdram Fri 20-Nov-20 18:27:24

Thank you mumsnet for changing my username fail!

Dd has just told me there are some other pupils in other years who are also not happy so hopefully awkward discussions may not have to happen. Fingers crossed she can take a step back next week. Literally!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in