Talk

Advanced search

Extremely vulnerable

(10 Posts)
Catwoman1985 Fri 30-Oct-20 23:03:32

Hi I was shielding previously as I was extremely clinically vulnerable. My school have been good about adjustments but school just doesn't feel safe. I am now in a catch 22 about what to do. I don't know how i can continue working in school with COVID. Any advice? Feeling pretty anxious now.

OP’s posts: |
SleepymummyZzz Sat 31-Oct-20 10:12:01

I’m so sorry OP I am in the same position. I just can’t see a way forward either 😔 Acutely aware today is the cut off for Christmas resignation and am doing lots of soul searching this morning. What do you think would help you feel safer? Is it possible in a school environment? Sending hugs xx

PinkPonyTail Sat 31-Oct-20 10:24:59

Sending some hugs!

I’m also a previously shielding teacher and back since August to a class full of 32 other people for 5.5 hours a day.

If the rest of the UK go into lockdown, I don’t know how I’ll feel about still working...

Catwoman1985 Sat 31-Oct-20 10:51:29

I am considering resigning too @SleepymummyZzz. It is an incredibly hard decision between not being able to afford the mortgage and our new baby, and risking contracting a virus that is very likely to kill me. I feel sick with worry and I feel for people like you and @PinkPonyTailin the same position

SquashedFlyBiscuits Sat 31-Oct-20 11:23:41

If you are sick with worry are you well enough to be at school? Maybe you should discuss this with your gp?

Catwoman1985 Sat 31-Oct-20 11:46:10

Maybe @SquashedFlyBiscuits. The GP hasn't been hugely helpful so far. I am on anti-depressants/. anti-anxiety meds already.

SquashedFlyBiscuits Sat 31-Oct-20 21:39:47

If you were previously shielding are ecv or cv, I really feel that getting signed off with stress would be totally reasonable. I know how stressed I am and I am not in any of those categories. I can't imagine how stressed you must be. Do what you need to do.

Subordinateclause Sat 31-Oct-20 21:46:28

The guidance on the gov website now says if you are ECV you should stay at home and are eligible for SSP. (From Thursday)

Gright Sat 31-Oct-20 22:20:44

There is a further group of people who are defined, also on medical grounds, as clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus – that is, people with specific serious health conditions. Over this period, we are advising the CEV to work from home. If you cannot work from home, you are advised not to go to work and may be eligible for Statutory Sick Pay (SSP) or Employment Support Allowance (ESA). You are encouraged to stay at home as much as possible, but are encouraged to go outside for exercise. The full new guidance will be published on Monday 2 November and the Government will write to everybody who is clinically extremely vulnerable to set out detailed advice while the new restrictions are in place. Current advice is in place at each local COVID alert level.

Catwoman1985 Sat 31-Oct-20 23:39:49

Thank you so much everyone. I have just seen this and will discuss it with my employer on Monday. Fortunately, the particular role I have in school means I am not in the classroom very much and do a lot of meetings and admin, both of which can be done virtually. I am hoping it won't therefore inconvenience my school too much if I work from home, and that way I will be safe too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in