Talk

Advanced search

New contract less money

(6 Posts)
MrsDev1980 Sat 17-Oct-20 08:51:36

I have just been offered a job on mps 6 after being on ups 3 for a quite a few years! It is only a maternity cover so this is fine, but I wondered if anyone else had done this before? How easy was it to get back to your old salary? Did it affect you negatively in any way?
Also the contract is due to finish on 23rd July so wouldn't be paid over summer! Is this allowed under teachers pay and conditions or should I negotiate for pay until the end of August?

OP’s posts: |
Littlefish Fri 30-Oct-20 18:28:37

It's perfectly legal for the main teacher to return to school at the end of term and be paid for the holidays, meaning you won't be. It's tough, but that's just the way it is.

I can't help with the other issue of UPS 3 down to M6 other than to say that schools can only pay what they can afford to pay, and it's up to individuals whether they can afford to take the drop in pay.

Aughrim18 Sat 31-Oct-20 18:49:29

The returning teacher will come back so they can get paid for the holidays.
This is standard practice in schools.
Unless the school agrees with you - you won't get paid

MrsDev1980 Sat 31-Oct-20 19:39:56

I didn't take the job in the end anyway, I'd rather wait for something that is more fair. Whether it is legally ok and morally right are 2 different things IMHO

OP’s posts: |
WoWsers16 Sat 31-Oct-20 22:03:58

I've always come back last day of term to be paid over the holidays from maternity leave - realistically it's me that has to work over summer to prepare for new term so I think it's a fair system really x

marplemead Wed 04-Nov-20 18:02:11

I know of a number of schools that have paid the maternity cover until the end of August, regardless of whether the teacher being covered returns before this time. Could you go back to them and ask to be paid on UPS3? They may not have an alternative given the current situation.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in