Talk

Advanced search

TA help required

(4 Posts)
TAplease Fri 04-Sep-20 15:10:45

I'm looking for some guidance from the people "in the know" about a TA role.

I have decided to retrain as a TA, I want to help within a school preferably with Early years but t can all be sorted later, I want to do level 3 and can already have my placement secured, I am however.really unsure of which course is best for me to undertake

I thought it was level 3 supporting and teaching in schools, that would put me in best sted, but now there appears to many more to choose from that have me a little confused as which would be best.

The level 3 course I looked at was only £600 but have been advised the course is more like £1600 so I am obviously missing something.

If someone could advise on the full title of the best course and any additional advice from others would be great.

I have looked at other side courses to help make me more appealing to employ but it's the initial course I need help choosing.

OP’s posts: |
bettsbattenburg Fri 04-Sep-20 16:19:46

You are better off doing some voluntary work in a school and looking at doing the Level 3 Certificate in Supporting Teaching and Learning in Schools. Not all schools ask for it but you are at an advantage if you have it as ta jobs are like hens teeth in some areas. 1:1 support jobs are more common nowadays.

kevinn Sat 05-Sep-20 04:29:38

I'm a TA. I got into the job by volunteering at the school listening to readers for a few months. Then when the job came up I was asked to throw my hat into the ring, so to speak.

I've done all my training whilst in the role; I hadn't done any courses previously. I used the fact I was known to the school and SLT through volunteering, plus my previous (unrelated) career experience to make me an appealing candidate.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that training courses aren't the be all and end all for securing a TA role. But as PP said, TA jobs are rarer than rocking horse shit in some places.

Good luck thanks

AHippoNamedBooBooButt Sat 05-Sep-20 10:04:18

I think schools tend to look at experience over qualifications when it comes to a TA role. You are much better volunteering reading, or working as a lunchtime supervisor and getting in that way.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in