Talk

Advanced search

EYFS numeracy

(5 Posts)
VashtaNerada Sun 12-Jul-20 08:07:17

Any EYFS colleagues out there? I’m looking to make up a numeracy pack for an older child who’s accessing the curriculum at a lower level. Would like to include some fun games / songs / manipulatives to help her work towards some basic numeracy across the year (with help from an LSA). Any good ideas of what to include?

OP’s posts: |
TrashKitten10 Mon 27-Jul-20 16:12:23

Number rhymes (depending on the age of the child and whether they'd find this too babyish) 5 little ducks, 5 speckled frogs, ten green bottles. Twinkl do these as a4 sheets or books.

Books that include themes of one more or one less- I can think of Handa's Surprise, The Very Hungry Caterpillar and A Squash and a Squeeze off the top of my head.

Cubes, bead strings and counters to use alongside the songs and rhymes and other numeracy activities.

Numicon is fabulous if you can get hold of a set with pegs.

Board games with dice, dominoes, number snap type games to get used to counting objects and actions (moving a counter along the board) as well as subitising numbers.

Hercwasonaroll Mon 27-Jul-20 19:32:13

Have you read the new DfE guidance on early years numeracy? It might be really useful for the TA too.

Twinkletoes2719 Sat 01-Aug-20 07:42:35

What guidance is this? Wondering if I’ve missed something over the holidays 🙈

teaandbiscuitsforme Sat 01-Aug-20 12:54:27

NCETM has produced progression documents for each of the 6 areas of early Maths with examples of activities.

https://www.ncetm.org.uk/resources/52500

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in